Just joined group.

• 75 replies
  • 113 subscribers

Hi, didn’t imagine I’d be posting here a few months ago…….I normally post on holiday/travel forums…. So hello. I had PSA x 2 before Christmas 2023. 8.2. 7.1    Then MRI , then biopsy. Diagnosed mid Jan 4+3. I’ve seen a consultant who 1st broke the news. Apparently I have 2 slow 2 moderate from biopsy. She kind of gave me the option to have removal or Active S. I also spoke to my Dr and in fact another Dr also . When pushed all 3 said they may well side with the A.S. In the mean time I had the choice to go and see the actual consultant / surgeon at the hospital 100 miles from where I live that do the op. Very nice chap, BUT he said he did not like a Gleason 4+3 in a 57 yr old and advised I have the op although that was just his kind advice. He said if it was a Gleason 6 , yes 100% do nothing apart from keeping an eye on it. I kind of feel I need to listen to him and go ahead with the op. I can just hear his voice as he as he did say “ I do not like a Gleason 7 in a 57 yr old . Anyway that’s my story so Thankyou..

• Hello Brian

Here I am sat in Tukey and you are making work for me!!  Here we go:

Link to Prostate Cancer  UK's  fantastic advice:

HORMONE THERAPY

https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org/our-publications/all-publications/hormone-therapy

RADIO THERAPY

https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org/our-publications/all-publications/external-beam-radiotherapy

BRACHYTHERAPY

shop.prostatecanceruk.org/.../permanent-seed-brachytherapy

SURGERY

shop.prostatecanceruk.org/.../surgery-radical-prostatectomy

All the above should give plenty of information in helping making a choice.

Am I free to have a Raki now?

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi MWP, 

Welcome to the Forum, and I concur with what's already been said to you.

It looks like we have a similar diagnosis: Gleason 7 (3+4, 4+3), PSA 8.4 (you can see more details on my profile). Your decision on treatments is, of course, entirely personal, though in my case, and for various reasons, I opted for HT and RT. I've just started my second month of HT (Bical 150mg - no injections). 

All the very best,

David

• Thanks for adding the links Brian.

I'm just jealous that you are enjoying the sunshine whilst we are here in the cold & rain, so if you promise to send some sun & warm temperatures back to the UK I promise not to cause you any more work whilst you are away.  I also don't want the wrath of Mrs Millibob crashing down on me Slight smile

Hope you have a great break away, you both deserve it.

Best Wishes

Brian

• Hello Brian

Yes we have the sunshine - 20c during the day but cold and clear tonight 7c!!

I am more than happy to help anyone - You have been with me on this "journey" and like you - we are still here to help others - and I thank you for your continued support - it's very much appreciated.

Mrs Millibob (Lorraine) is an amazing supportive person - she's a retired nurse and she's been there for me throughout everything even though she's had a life threating issue. I think our partners are the best support we can ever have and if yours is as good as mine give them a cuddle from me - they are fantastic!! (It's me hormones kicking in!!)

Kind Regards - Brian Thumbsup

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks for reply’s again. I have been reading about brackytheropy. I wonder why I was not given this option? Is it a case of get in and get it out by nhs?

• Hi MWP,

Yes, you can get it on the NHS. But, if it’s not carried out at your local hospital, you will have to request referral. 
    You will need to check out the experience of the surgeons at the brachytherapy hospital, as you definitely want one that has done many such operations (seed placement is critical in the LDR Brachytherapy and mapping is critical for HDR Brachytherapy).  AW

• I’ve just looked at your stats - you may well be suitable for just brachytherapy (maybe with 3-6/months HT to weaken the cancer and shrink the prostate before the operation, so the target is smaller and weaker). Have a read of my bio - but bear in mind I am T3a with some aggressive features, so I’m a little more advanced than you).  My body (and mind) has tolerated the treatments I had exceptionally well (so far).  Treatment is finished and only a few months left on HT.

AW

• Thankyou. Would I not of been offered the brackytheropy because it’s not suitable as far as surgeon is concerned. Or because maybe a removal is a 1 off procedure ( hopefully) and likley to put more pressure on NHS. Multiple treatments/ ongoing appointments etc etc. Then possibly an operation at a later date? I’m going to speak to my consultant and ask! Thankyou.

• A surgeon is master of all he surveys and is unlikely to recommend any other cure Joy.  Only joking.  Well, partly. Joy  AW

1. I remember an HNS dentist a few yrs ago.” No, sorry but the tooth will have to come out”. “Really, I don’t want to lose it, I’ll pay to go private just in case another dentist may offer another treatment “. So I went private and the dentist did whatever it was and I kept the tooth. Do you think the brackytheropy may had not been offered as it’s a lot more time, cost etc to the NHS rather than a 1 off job having prostate removed. Apologies if I’m talking nonsense.