Abdominal aches and pains?

• 5 replies
  • 113 subscribers

Hello, I am new here. I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. It was discovered last November and the diagnosis was after Christmas 2023. Although I have had scans, blood tests, biopsies, consultations and more blood tests, two full months on I have yet to start any treatment. I am supposed to be getting hormone tablets and radio therapy for a stage a 3 cancer that is on the cusp of breakout from the prostate gland. The NNUH hospital has handed over my care to my GP. The hospital has been good, if slow, and the GP indifferent to say the least, they even seem to have lost my prescription which I am supposed to collect from my pharmacy.

That is the background. What I want to ask is what do you feel physically, if anything, in the region of the prostate? I am experiencing aches and discomfort. It probably started after the biopsy session, but that was 6 weeks ago and I thought it would have settled down by now. Am I imagining things, or are these feelings real?

• Hello   A warm welcome to the online Prostate Community.

In a Prostate Journey of 26 months I have not felt anything specific in the area of the prostate. The only pain I have had was during/after the biopsy. that was for an hour tops - I would, if the pain has been ongoing for 6 weeks have a word with your GP.

Regarding the GP - if you are starting the HT/RT route I would be pestering them like a dog with a bone to start my treatment. You should be starting on 28 days of Bicalutamide with you first Hormone injection (of your GP's choice) 14 days in.

I hope the above helps - To help us help you and to stop us asking the same questions can I ask you to update your profile with your diagnosis. To do this go to the chair on your home page (top right) then "profile" and then "edit". (You can view mine by clicking on my name or avatar).

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello Pagetshut

sorry to hear bout your diagnosis and your struggles.

i am somewhat unsure about the hospital having handed over treatment to your GP? My husband’s hormone therapy is prescribed and administered by the GP as first instructed by Urology pending his radiotherapy. He was transferred over to oncology for his radiotherapy and the continuing oversight of his hormone therapy, PSA etc. 

So, my suggestion is that you should check  first to make sure they have done the necessary referrals to oncology and your GP.  You can do this by contacting any or all of the 3 parties.

You should also remind them that the Government target is that all cancer patients should not have to wait longer than 62 days from the date of the GPs first referral to the commencement of treatment.

if you don’t get any satisfaction, then, I would suggest a formal complaint in writing copied to all parties and your MP.

you also have the option of your hospital Patients Advice ( sometimes called Information) and Liaison Service ( PALS or PILS). Our PILS service initially tried to tell me they don’t respond in under something like 3 weeks. I told them( politely!) that this was too long and so I would be putting the matter into the hands of solicitors ( this was not cancer related but suspected negligence ). They dealt with it within the hour!

my whole experience of the NHS is that we now have to take a proactive responsibility for monitoring and gaining access to health care. At all times, though, I would advise polite assertiveness and no abuse or aggression!

HTH and good luck!

• Hi

In the early stages of treatment, the hospital usually administers this, the doctor as far as I know can only give hormone injections or treat for any pain.

I would certainly question the hospital about this, as your a new patient who seems to not know what his treatment should be. 
    As Millibob said, I would certainly pester them for answers, reminding not to threaten or use abusive language.

Stay safe

Joe

• You must contact your GP and hospital consultant and get them to start treatment as soon as possible.

• Hi and welcome. I had a little pain earl on in treatment due to my enlarged prostate pressing against my urethra which i was offered meds, but was also told my treatment would sort it out  in a week or so, and it did, as Brian said, see your GP, take care.

Eddie