PSA blood checks after Prostate been removed.

• 8 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hi, I had keyhole surgery last August to remove prostate, surgeon said cancer was right at the edge on right side so any longer it could have gone into other parts of body. On follow up he believed they had got it all. At 3 month blood test post surgery PSA level down so no cancer detected.

Had further 3 month PSA blood Monday gone. Nurse called with results but showing PSA gone up above the level they are happy with. Now waiting on appt to see surgeon again. I can’t remember the level nurse said it was. Anyone else been in this situation. Telling me not to worry is fine but doesn’t help the anxiety. 

Thanks Colin 

• Hello   Thanks for posting - I can fully understand your anxiety - I am aware we have a number of Community members who have/are in similar situation and I am sure you will receive further replies from them.

I just thought I should post to confirm your team are on the case and there are plenty of options open to you for further treatment if it's required. Stick with us and keep us posted.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Every PSA test is an anxious moment. My last was end of Dec, for a January follow up appointment, which I have not got yet! Since surgery mine have gone from 0.011 to .0019 to ..0027, so going up too, no idea if this is normal bad or what. All we can do is keep hanging on in there. Hope you get your answers soon.

• Hi Colin. I am in your situation, as quite a few will be, following surgery. Statistics show that there is a fair chance of cretins remaining after surgery and what you and I are possibly going through now is all part of the journey we have to travel on since PC was diagnosed. Your stats will be nothing unusual to your medical team and there are options available to enable them to successfully treat you. You are being looked after by your nurse and an appointment is being made for the surgeon. You are therefore being looked after as you should be. I am now 17 months post and my PSA 2 months ago was 0.2. I also was told I had negative margins and my consultant believed he had got it all.   My consultant and nurse have told me that they will not do anything until it rises to 0.4. Some others are treated before that level is reached. Of course you are going to worry. Your body and health are one of the most important things to you. However, don’t let that worry undermine positive thoughts. I always have / take a dedicated A5 pad when I have an appointment and add important information as I find my memory goes blank afterwards. Let us know what your PSA is when you are able.

• Hi Colin.

I won't tell you not to worry because we all do when there is a rise in PSA. The course of action now will be dependant on many things such as your initial Gleason score, TNM, histology from biopsy, rate of PSA rise after surgery, results of scans. I have attached a link which I hope helps you to understand what will be involved. Salvage radiotherapy is a fairly common next line of treatment after a radical prostatectomy and spans a wide timeframe from soon after the procedure, as in your case, to many years after. A rise in PSA 6 months after surgery will probably be treated more aggressively than if the rise happened after years as it indicates that they may not have removed it all during the procedure or that the cancer may have gone walkabout. There are many options to deal with this and the success rate is pretty high. Please come back with any questions.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/types/prostate-cancer/treating/recurrence.html

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/treatments/if-your-prostate-cancer-comes-back

• Hi Colin

I was in a similar situation to yours a couple of years ago. About six months after robtic surgery my PSA started ticking up. There are plenty of things they can try if you need follow up after surgery. In my case, a PET Scan did not pin-point any hot spots so my Oncologist ordered 35 sessions of radiotherapy directed at the spot where my prostate used to be, coupled with six months of hormones for good measure. That did the trick [so far!] and I hope they manage to sort you out.

• Thank you for these words really helpful.

cheers

colin

• Thank you for this and the two websites very helpful

Thanks

colin

• Hi,

further blood test 15th April then seeing my surgeon on 24th April, so they defo on it..

colin