Radiotherapy

• 8 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Hi guys just going to have my first bout of RT tomorrow morning dreading it don't know exactly what is going to be happening, haven't been told a lot so sitting here bit worried. Don't know how long it will take or how many doses will be getting. A bit of info will be much appreciated thanks. 

• Hello  

All Radiotherapy centres do things slightly differently, Some want you with an empty bladder and bowel some with with a full bladder so you will have your instructions.

Once they call you in you lay on the "sunbed" - show the radiologists your tattoo's given at the planning scan and they will move you into the correct position. Once there you will be told not to move and they will leave the room.

You may feel the sunbed table move a few small movements as you are lined up - the machine will then rotate once to ensure you are in the right place. there will be a pause and the table may move again to adjust your position. It will then rotate twice and this is your first dose of RT.

That's it - fraction 1 done. I hope it goes well for you.

Remember to tell the staff of any changes in your urination or bowel movements.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Fredek

Different hospitals treat RT differently, as Brian has said. My hospital recommended a low fibre diet - so no full fibre anything, - no alcohol or caffeine either. Also be aware RT can push your body towards type 2 diabetes and also anemia. These are, however, not going to have any impact immediately- just be aware.

The worst bit is where you are now -  thinking about it. The 'sunbed' session is a piece of cake once you get through the first one!

Hope all goes well tomorrow - it will!

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi Fredek.

Have a look at the thread - my husband I am so scared - who is also starting radiotherapy tomorrow. Seamus has given an excellent response on what to expect. 20 sessions is the norm (daily sessions 5 days a week) for most but it all depends on the machine and what has been sorted out for you. The actual time on the 'sunbed' is only about 15 minutes with most of the time being taken up by getting you lined up thanks for your tattoos. If you don't have a full enough bladder or an empty bowel then you will be sent to the waiting area until the technicians are satisfied with you. The technicians are brilliant and will lead you through each step. It is important to tell them of all side effects as they can organise help to overcome them. You will not feel anything whilst the machine is working. Ask them tomorrow how many sessions you are booked in for and try and get them for the same time each day as this helps you get into a routine. 

I hope everything becomes clearer for you tomorrow and do come back and let us know how you got on.

• Thanks Brian was just a bit worried through lack of information.Still worried about some of the side effects from the RT especially when I'm at my work, don't know how long they will put up with me running to the loo all the time if that's something that hits me. 

• Thanks alwayshope, you guys are doing a great job here I feel a lot better now. Hope everything goes well for Seamus tomorrow. Thanks again. 

• Hi   If the issues of going to the loo are affecting you, mention it to the staff and possibly your G P.  They can give you something for it.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks again to all you guys and girls your info is brilliant Clap 

• Millibob so well explained!