Dad has Prostatectomy back in April, PSA risen to 0.23

• 6 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

My Dad (67) had a Prostatectomy back in April, his PSA results since have been climbing slowly but now had a big jump to 0.23. We can not have further tests until after Christmas and unlikely to be January.  He wont start HT until after the tests.

Its hard to know how to deal with it all without knowing what exactly this means and whether it is just in the Prostate bed or spread further. Has anybody else had experience with these kind of levels post surgery? I think knowing a bit more about what to expect would help, and help me help my Dad and my Mum really. 

Thank you Slight smile

• Hi AVC

I think that once it starts a continuous climb then it's possible that they didn't clear all the cancer cells.

What were the original stats because that may give some clues as to what's going on

Hopefully just some residue cells just outside the gland if it has come back

Anyway good thing is Radiotherapy still an option to clear the remaining cells.

Perhaps someone will post who has been through this scenario.

Best wishes

Steve 

• Thank you Steve, 

3 months ago his PSA result was 0.03, and the one before that was 0.01, so a slow increase and then a fast one. 

Thats good to know Radiotherapy is still an option, hopefully just some remaining cells like you say.

• Hello  Well - nothing to worry about at present - but something to watch. After the surgery did the surgeon give you any details as to how the operation went with the margins?

You also mention that he won't start HT until after a further PSA test - Have you been told this by your team?

As you are no doubt aware after removal PSA is usually undetectable so it does need looking at.

A bit of housekeeping if you don't mind - to save us asking questions over and over again can you fill in some brief details on your dad's profile - to do this - click in the image of the chair - top right of the home page, then profile and then edit. (You can read my profile by clicking on the icon of the beach - but dad's doesn't need to be almost a book like mine!!).

If you come back to us - we should be able to re-assure you, and your Mum and dad.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks so much Brian, 

I have updated the profile and will add to it if any more information comes to light. 

Whilst operating, the Doctor saw that the cancer was on the outside of the prostate but didnt see any signs of spread in the local area (he explained it could be microscopic).

It was Grade 5, T3a

Sorry I think I confused things, the consultant has told us the Hormone Therapy will start after the scans (i.e. bone scan etc). Unfortunately we dont currently know when this will be.

Really appreciate your help and support 

• Thank you very much for that - it not only helps me - but all the Community.

I am a T3a - that means the cancer has broken through the outer layer of the prostate but not spread to the seminal vesicles (these make some of the fluid in semen and is the usual first stop if the cancer has gone "walkabout".)

Prostate Cancer thrives on Testosterone - so if there are any cells lying about - the Prostate bed etc once Dad starts on Hormone Therapy the HT will stop them growing and a few doses of Radiotherapy will kill them off. The bone scan is to ensure there is no spread.

A couple of points - Hormone Therapy has side effects one being fatigue - I know Dad's fit and healthy so he needs to keep fit. Hormone Therapy weakens your bone structure, so once prescribed make sure he is also prescribed Calcium and Vitamin D tablets.

I hope this helps - try and put this to the back of your mind (easily said) , Have a great Christmas and New Year and then on with the fight.

Keep us posted as to how you get on.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi AVC. I too was T3a. I had my op September 2022. I was told my margins were clear and my Consultant was pretty certain he had got all the cancer. However after 4 weeks my PSA was 0.2 (my Consulatnt said that was too early to rely on that result) and since then it has been 0.1 every 3 months. I am going for another blood test tomorrow in fact. I am very worried or concerned that my level is detectable and that bubbles more to the surface leading up to bloods being taken. However I have been advised by my Consultant and my dedicated CNS that my Health Area policy (Kent / East Sussex) is that they will not carry out salvage radiotherapy unless PSA rises to 0.4. Their reason is that the scans are not accurate enough until that level is reached. Some others on this forum have had it done at much lower levels though. I wonder  whether the ultimate reason is down to our local scan machines being not up the highest standard or whether it is down to costs. Anyway, be it right or wrong,  I have accepted their response as I am not too keen now on the thought of having RT and in particular HT and also my PSA has not risen over the months. My point is though that your Dad may find he cannot have treatment yet anyway, although the wording of your entry does seems to indicate that it is likley to happen after the further scans / tests.