Tooth extraction

• 5 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Dentist wants to take out two teeth.She wants to know if this is safe.I told her I was receiving hormone injections for my prostate cancer.Anyone?

• Hello   That's a good question and not being medically trained I can only give you my humble personal opinion (apart from the fact the Dentist should have an idea!!).

Hormone Therapy supresses your testosterone - I personally can't see why it would affect with a tooth extraction except it would be more painful as you male hormones are supressed (ladies it's my opinion).

Right then Community Champions hat on here and the official answer is I don't know. However on the next line is a link to our "Ask a Nurse" section. I would advise you to ask the same question to our nurses (it may take a few days for a reply).

Ask a Nurse 

I would be obliged if you will copy us in with the answer as it might come in handy in the future.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Davlaurjen, Interesting question and very relevant to me.  Again I am not medically trained but my dentist wants to extract a tooth now, but won’t because of the risk of bone necrosis because I am on sodium risedronate (bisphosphonates).  Apparently there is a 1% chance after 2 years on bisphosphonates of necrosis and I have been on them for 6 years and not sure stats exist for that long.  She has asked me to see if the oncologist will change my drug at my next 3 monthly chat.

Don’t know if this is related to your question but HT has not been mentioned as a problem (I am on Goserelin 3 monthly hormone implant).  The risedronate is to help my Adcal tablets absorb into the bones.

Hope this helps.  David

• I phoned my oncologist's secretary at the Beatson Hospital in Glasgow.I got a reply to say that it was ok for my dentist to perform the extractions in my circumstances.This may not apply in every case but the direct approach may be the best option for others.Thanks to all who expressed an interest in my case.It is much appreciated.Merry Christmas.

• Hello  Many thanks for the information. I hope your extractions aren't too painful.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Davlaurjen, 

Thats great for you.  Out of interest are you on Calcium supplements and/or bisphosphonates?

David