PC and diet

• 4 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hello all my new friends

As i am all very new to all this ( only one week since husband diagnosed) I look at what to eat and what not. He, is actually eat very well Mediterranean diet with veg fruits fish etc. He loves his cottage cheese with blueberry.

But... no tomatoes due to reflux. So what I discovered today papaya has all the good nutrients to help fighting against PC AND IT IS yummy. So the papaya is all cut nicely in the fridge ready to eat. However, if you suffer from diarrhea avoid it. For constipation its just the ticket. 

If you have any things to share on food with PC I would love to hear it.

Lots of love from Brighton

Dafna

• Hello jacobanddafna, your mediterranean diet is an excellent choice, if you steam your veg that should help with reflux, for wind try bananas, and try to avoid processed meats, Dafna as your husband is just starting with bicalutamide before getting hormone injections could i suggest you do a little exercise, walking is fine, as hormone therapy often makes you physically tired, so to just get a little fitter now will help later. take bare, Eddie

• Hello all,

I don't know if this is really a reply or a comment that should be elsewhere, but....

After chemo I started degarelix (I also take daily morphine which I have done for some time). I spoke to the dietitian and decided  on a breakfast of flaked rice or oats with sultanas and walnuts which I started at the same time as the ADT. I get the usual fatigue, hot flashes etc and when I started falling asleep an hour or so after breakfast. I concluded that it must be linked to the hormone  One day I ran out of walnuts and to my surprise felt bright through the morning, so continued breakfasting without walnuts. The overwhelming tiredness after breakfast never came back. Looking at the web, it seems that walnuts are recommended as an aid to sleep.

The lesson is that it is not a good idea to assume that any (new) effects are due to the medication when you change your diet.

Best wishes  Chris.

• Hi Eddie,

Thank you so much for the good advise. Yes, he is swimming every morning but now he is walking as well so hopefully it will help that he is a very fit healthy man otherwise. I really count on it.

I must say that last week this time I was in a bad place but after getting all your support I feel that we can win. I know his cancer is not curable but so many people live with it with good quality of life. I am optimistic.

Thank you Eddie

• Hi Chris,

Yes this is a good lesson not to assume that any new effects are due to the meds.

Thank you and best wishes

Dafna