Coping with wedding emotions as a father.

• 19 replies
  • 115 subscribers

Hi folks,

Looking for advice on how to stop being over emotional when giving the Father of the Bride speech. My daughter gets married shortly and I have to give the afore mentioned speech but I have been on hormone treatment for my Prostate cancer for over 3 years now and my emotional state has changed dramatically. I was the stereotypical male who could always deal with any situation without showing any emotions, now I can become teary at the slightest thing. I know walking your daughter down the aisle and giving a speech at the reception is usually emotional for most people, but I don't want to embarrass anyone or spoil their big day with her dad blubbering away, on which is supposed to be a happy occasion. Maybe some of you guys have been in the same situation and were able to deal with it on the day, so any advice/suggestions/comments would be gratefully received.

Take care, Tom 

• From a mother of the bride point of view, I think it’s lovely that a father loves his daughter so much that he becomes emotional!  Practice your speech lots of times before a very select audience before the big day so you know which bits might ‘get to you’ and just go with the flow! If you laughed you would not be ashamed, so why be ashamed of your tears? They are both expressions of sincere human emotion. Anyone who thinks badly of you ( and I don’t think anyone will!) has no right to be sharing such a big, important, family day!

• Here, here - your daughter will be proud of you whatever!  Making a speech is alway bit daunting, but there's no way you will embarrass anyone.  Have a fabulous day and 'Cry (if you want to)'.Gift heart

• Hi Tom

I agree with worried wife.  My husband is on Prostap as well and at times is very emotional and that’s okay Slight smile. Weddings are always emotional, especially as Father of the Bride, I am sure you will make the loveliest speech regardless of whether there are tears or not.  Your daughter and everyone else will just be glad you are there for one of the most important days of her life. I’ll bet even if you weren't on hormone therapy it would be very emotional.  Don’t worry about it and just enjoy this special day, tears or not, you will be fabulous.

Linda Slight smile

• Just another thought!  I am now accustomed to giving presentation, but the first few times saw me in a state of high anxiety. A good friend told me that if words failed me on the day, just look at the audience and imagine them sitting there very embarrassed because they had all forgotten to put clothes on!!!! :) It worked wonders!!!

• Hi Tom

I have given away two daughters both at big weddings - prior to HT - and cried at both of them . Don't worry, she will be pleased to have you there, you are her dad after all. On the assumption the important people know you suffer from PC and are on HT they will understand fully!!

I had the sad task of an eulogy for a friend at a funeral. Most folk knew of my HT and as worried wife above says practice, which I did. On the day I got 98% there and broke down in tears - I left the lectern to thunderous applause!!

You will be right on the day - and hey - it's not embarrassing to show emotions, it shows you care!! Blush

Enjoy the day - don't worry - you will be fine,

Best wishes

Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• I don't see getting emotional when giving away your daughter to start a new life is a problem.  We have been to many weddings where the Father of the Bride has a few "emotional moments" and cries.  I think its wonderful.  We men quite often feel we should not show emotion and I firmly believe this is not right.  We should share our emotions.

• To all people who took the time to reply to my post, I am very grateful & you have my thanks. To receive comments from different perspectives has helped me to realise that my daughters forthcoming wedding is indeed an emotional day. So instead of worrying about emotions, I will practice my speech frequently and embrace the special day as a whole, tears, no tears or lots of tears!!  Thanks again.

Take care, Tom

• Hello Tom. I guess most people at the wedding will know of your situation and during your speech you could mention it. Getting all emotional is part of the speech and your daughter will be so proud of her Dad as you will be of her. I bet at the end of your speech you will have guests in tears too at the funny bits and the emotive bits which will result in a great round of applause. You will be fine.

Best wishes, Graham. 

• Tom, I’ve been on hormone therapy for three years as well. I’m sure you daughter understands and basically as men we hide our emotions. For you to show them shows how much your daughter means to you (mine and my son mean the world tome) tears are also tears of joy.

• Absolutely nothing wrong with showing emotion, it is ok for men to cry as well as women. Enjoy every minute of this special day and come back and let us know how the wedding went