Prostate Cancer/Bike Riding/Masturbation

• 12 replies
  • 114 subscribers

Hello all, 

I have not dropped by to say hello and check in with everyone. I hope everyone is as well as can be. A quick review: I'm 68, Caucasian, based in Tokyo, Japan (and have been for nearly 30 years). 

I was diagnosed earlier this year as having prostate cancer, but it had not spread to bones or other organs. I was told that my Gleason score was just high enough that I should consider surgery or brachytherapy. My last PSA score 5.62. 

Long story short: I decided on brachytherapy and then visited with the doctor who would perform the procedure. At the consultation, the doctor looked at my images and said the size of the tumor was so small that having the procedure done did not make sense unless I wanted it done. And I said, "Why would I want it done?" This led to a more thorough conversation where the doctor said my condition could go on as it is for the next 30 years. He did not feel it was time to have the procedure done. (This was the 4th urologist I had seen and the first one to give me a very different view of my condition.)

What he said is that we will do blood tests and imaging every two months. That will let us know what, if anything needs to be done. This put my mind at ease. My appointment is coming up on Nov. 24. We talked about bike-riding and masturbation and how both seem to push up the PSA score somewhat (although I cannot remember asking him why). He said to refrain from both a week before our session, and obviously I will. 

I'm posting because I wonder if any of you have been told the same regarding biking and masturbating? And whether refraining from them made a noticeable difference in your PSA scores? 

Appreciate anyone who takes the time to respond. Thank you in advance, and stay well. 

• Hi ,

Yes, I knew that one should refrain from any sexual activity or bike riding for a few days prior to a PSA test. I don't know how widespread that knowledge is, but it was my GP practice nurse who told me about it when I had a PSA test early on in my treatment back in late 2018.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Hi

I agree with Seamus although I havnt heard that masturbation could affect the PSA reading. When I was diagnosed the GP asked me if I had cycled to the surgery for the blood test.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Yes, I meant to say "sexual activity" -- but since I've had very little for so many years, "masturbation" was the first word that popped up in my mind. Thank you for your comment! :)

• Yes, will definitely stop cycling a good 7-10 days before, although it's my main form of transportation. And also, "hands-off" for the same period of time. (Actually, the word the doctor used was "ejaculation." He's Japanese and his English was good, but it was funny to hear him say, "No biking and no ejaculation for one week before!" :)

• Yes this is absolutely correct.  Though I did once forget and was cycling the morning of my PSA test and for me it didn't make much difference if any.  The difference is likely to be small unless your activity is very strenuous and some differences in PSA result can be because of a different laboratory being used to do the test and how sensitive the test is at one lab compared to another but again the difference is likely to be small.  I cannot remember what your gleason score is would you remind me please?  My younger brother had brachytherapy for a Gleason 6 (3+3) nearly five years ago and chose to be treated quickly because of the family history - our Dad died with prostate cancer and I was diagnosed with a slightly more advanced Gleason 7(3+4) at the same age as my brother - at MRI it was found that the tumour was pushing out of the edge of the prostate into the rectum so I had 9 months of Hormone Therapy and 1 month of radiotherapy 7 years ago and my PSA has been undetectable ever since.

• Think yourself lucky you can do it!  (...Ride a bike).

I'd never heard of that before.  Something to keep in mind for the future.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Yes, i can still ride a bike, and hope to be doing so for the rest of my life, but I will be curtailing my activities as of today. I think 12 days of no bikes and "hands-off" is enough to determine whether there is any difference in my PSA score. 

• You are incredibly kind to ask about my score. It is Gleason 7 (3+4). There is a whole discussion which you might be able to see here: https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/prostate-cancer-forum/f/general/246433/gleason-scores----multiples-your-experience#pifragment-13906=1

I think the doctor's current plan (an MRI/blood test every two months) is good. This is how I will handle my "active surveillance." If at any one of those appointments he indicates further action needs to be taken, I will opt for the brachytherapy, unless he insists that I have to have the surgery. But I hope he does not do that. 

I'm glad to know that your PSA has been undetectable. I wish you continued good health. 

• That is a good plan.  Here in the UK Active surveillance usually means a PSA test every 3 months and an MRI and/or biopsy every year.  (3+4) is a lowish gleason and your PSA is lowish and as long as the tumour can be seen to be contained in the prostate and not growing quickly then active surveillance is a good plan - it was the first thing said to me by my urologist that I could probably go on Active Surveillance but if I wanted could also have either prostate removal or radiotherapy but my MRI was done after the biopsy so it was only then that they realised that the tumour was pushing onto the outside of the capsule so they believed it was time to treat in case any microscopic cancer cells had managed to escaped into the local area.  So active surveillance and prostate removal had been removed from my choices and no decision to make - though I did investigate proton beam therapy in Prague and cyber knife at the Royal Marsden but both were deemed not to be suitable for me by the consultants there.  My Dad died at nearly 90 with low grade prostate cancer but not of prostate cancer as diagnosed around 80 but luckily contained and my Dad didn't really want to go through any treatment anyway at his age - and he was right as he had few, if any symptoms all the way through and avoided treatment and had a good life  for the last 8/9 years and died of something totally different. 

All the best and let us know how you get on.

• Thank you, freefaller, for a great response. Yes, I think I'd follow exactly your plan and/or your dad's plan. Both sound correct to me. I just found it odd that two urologists (one senior, the head of the urology department at the hospital) and his junior both were telling me: surgery or brachytherapy, your only choices. And then I met the doctor who would perform the brachytherapy and he saw absolutely no need to do anything at that moment. Exactly. It was a lowish Gleason (when I saw the other scores, there was only one 3+4), and contained. The problem is: how long does it stay that way, I don't know. Hence... the bi-monthly PSA/MRI. But in many ways, I don't think I can ask for anything better. I'm being monitored and a plan of action has already been decided (brachytherapy), unless it has quickly metastasized, and with this type of cancer, I just don't see it happening, based on my research and the comments of the urologists. 

I hope I can live as long as your father and in good health. 

Yes, all the best to you and thank you kindly for taking time to respond. It means a lot.