Prostate cancer: Diet and exercise

• 5 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hello all. 

I'm not sure whether it's necessary to introduce myself and my status each time I post, but I feel that without some introduction, others who may respond will not know/understand my status. 

So, before I ask questions: 68, Caucasian male, diagnosed with "localized" prostate cancer after a biopsy on July 2. Am researching next steps prior to making any drastic decisions. 

That said: Have any of you, based on your prostate diagnosis, made changes to your diet? Specifically, did you (or were you told to) stop eating meat? Has anyone gone full vegetarian? Has anyone tried adding flaxseed to their meals? 

My larger question is: has any dietary change you've made, made any difference in your overall health and/or overall PSA level or prostate cancer status? 

Also: Exercise. I live in Tokyo. While public transport is everywhere, for local shopping I walk or use my bike. After my prostate biopsy, it took a good 16-18 days before I could get back on a bike and ride with confidence. My other exercises include stretching and very light weights, also walking when the weather is tolerable (which it rarely is in summer). 

The larger question: for those of you who ride bikes: were you told to stop? Or at some point after RT or surgery, were you told that you could continue with bike riding? 

Any/all answers would be appreciated. 

After doing all my research, I am not opposed to seeking a holistic approach to dealing wit this disease, but would love to hear from others who may have also gone down this road of thinking.  Thank you in advance. 

• Made no changes to my diet and was never told to apart from to eat healthily - which I already did and still do.  I exercised all through my treatment  HT and RT as I had before and still do.  Doing circuits in the gym and static bicycle and treadmill, cycling and swimming when able to.  Was never told to stop riding a bike just not ride within the 48 hours before a PSA test as this could make the reading higher than it would be - having said that I forgot before one test and actually sed my exercise bike the morning of the test and it made miniscule difference to the reading.

• Hello,

I was a Gleason 9 T3B , (also Positive margins vesicles !, will  ask for my records and get an exact account)

Surgery 18/06/2018.

Post surgery , catheter one month, had a leak! First PSA  0.17, second PSA one month later 0.22.

At this point I took a radical approach, I went on a fast which lasted twenty-one days, nothing but water. 

I am not sure of my starting weight, certainly about or above 180lbs, my finishing weight was about 152lbs

I certainly had altered in appearance, and also my shoe size went down!.

My aim of the fast was to set in motion " Autophagy" (Self Eating) Read up on it , very simple and understandable, cleaning up and regenerating

The result being my PSA dropped to 0.18 from 0.22 . Now the fun begins, as I did not have three consecutive rises in PSA it was going to delay my chance of RT. I had to fight my case and as my next PSA test went up to 0.22  I was scheduled for RT asap which started on 20/12/2018..

Regarding diet. I went a bit overboard, cooking my own food, Virgin olive oil , no processed food, not even bread because of the sugar and whatever.

The result of the excessive Veg/fruit/ fish diet was very loose bowel movements, thought I had the start of Radiation prostitis, so as a preventive measure, had fifty three  hyperbaric sessions, then covid shut everything down and I had to stop the treatment.

I have done several more extreme fasts, once you reach Keto and beyond , my weight loss was about 0.6lbs per day.

My drop in PSA from 0.22  was to either 0.17 or 0.18, would have to look it as I mix up the two numbers, but whatever one it does show a drop. (The doctor said the PSA can dip naturally! but as the subsequent rises made it an aggressive cancer, doubt if it was a dip)

Fasting is the way to go, it is now part of my life. A nine day fast is now the perfect reboot for me, now i use a little Apple cyder vinegar and real salt in the water.

Will finish now before I get onto the dangers of "Sugar"

All the Best

• Hello Tatami

For me cutting out Caffeine and sugar was enlightening and frightening at the same time, as there is definite withdrawal symptoms.

Alcohol was not a problem as I seldom if ever consume it. When you fast you get a kind of "Keto Flue^ and combined with the Sugar/Caffeine/Alcohol withdrawal does put people off, but    the discomfort is only temporary

I have had definite benefits from weight loss and amended diet. Pre weight loss I was using Ibuprofen for dull pain in my right knee, now I do at least forty minutes walking every morning and no pain at all. I was getting a bit OTT with the walking , now that I am fit, cut it down to fortymiutes to one hour a day, , Helps with bowel movement.

Also have small oxygen concentrator and I use lightbox in the winter

All the Best

• Hi 

Excersize is down to the individual, it’s great whatever you can do, everything helps, you just have to listen to what your body tells you, if your tired then rest, does not matter when, diets are good, just plenty of fruit and veg, not to much red meat, fish chicken, prawns and crab are very good, drink pomegranate and water, does not mean you have to go tea total.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Joe Think my body is now expects a regular walk every day, get a bit of a buzz

You are right though, re "listen to what your body says". sleep can be healing.

Tea ,coffee and drink are off the list for me due to incontinence issue, just starting another two month treatment, then after that it will be Botox injection

All the Best