drink wine

• 7 replies
  • 113 subscribers

I want some  advice  I am taking  bicalutamide  and if you want  to  drink  a what's  the best solution  for that 

• I think the best advice (which was from my GP practice nurse) is to avoid both alcohol and caffeine as long as you are on any form of HT. It worked for me and after three years of HT I'm really not bothered, but do like an occasional glass of a nice Malbec with Sunday lunch.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • I have not heard about avoiding caffeine while on HT, why is that? I do like a couple of coffees in the morning 

Regards

Paul

"Diagnosed March 2021 at 38 years old with stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer, my journey so far is on my profile"

• I was never told to avoid caffeine but have been on decaffeinated tea and coffee for years before anyway due to bladder problems - also don't remember being told to avoid alcohol either but then hardly drink anyway.  What does it say on the tablet packet insert?  For best advice ask your pharmacist.

• Hi Banbeto

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule regarding drinking alcohol but it is more a question of "moderation".

Alcohol is a simulant, as are tea and coffee, and therefore if you have prostate or bladder issues, it may lead to discomfort and more frequent night visits to the loo.

I have been on HT for over 4 years and have not given up alcohol but have certainly cut back on quantity, particularly when it comes to beer!

Like Seamus 47, I do have an occasional glass of wine with a meal but my taste buds have changed since my treatment started and certain drinks, such as spirits, are no longer pleasurable.

A fellow patient, who was a fanatic on expensive whiskies, now finds that he is unable to even look at a bottle of scotch!

I would just say, follow your instinct!

• Hi

The only problems with alcohol/coffee/ diet I experienced was during RT. When I had a reaction I realised the RT weren't joking when they said follow the diet sheet! Once the RT had finished I started drinking again. I was on HT for 2 years and alcohol or caffinated drinks didn't have an effect.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Alcohol and HT can certainly lead to increased nocturnal visits!

The 'moderation' advice is good: I found that drinking a couple of pints on a Friday evening increased the feelings of fatigue over the weekend (but not by much), whereas a couple or three glasses of wine were fine. I think it helps to drink something non-alcoholic between the alcohol and going to bed; they will flush much of it through the system more quickly.

I've cut down on coffee on general principles, plus it is an irritant to the plumbing system.

There are some who argue to cut out all the 'evil things' - and if it suits them, that's fine. But I personally can't see the point of surviving cancer if your life has all the goodness taken out of it. For me, not going to the pub for a band or two at the weekend would pretty much end my social life. No thanks.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• The discussion or debate if you feel strongly enough, on the subject of diet, caffeine, alcohol consumption during cancer treatment in my opinion is subjective. I am 68 this year and looking for quality of life for whatever time I have left. I drink lots of tea during the day but no coffee, 2 cups a month if I`m lucky when in town. No red meat for well over a year. I`ve been a social type of person all my life and it is not going to change now, cancer or not. I go to the pub usually twice a week with my wife or family & friends and is a big part of my dealing with my cancer, not just an excuse to bevvy. Of course I have made some lifestyle changes but not that drastic to make me miserable. I was diagnosed 2 years next month and treatment going well, I am quite cheery almost all the time and do not think my social choices i.e. alcohol, is having too much of a negative effect on my health at the moment. If things do change then I`ll deal with it as usual but as I said quality of life and making memories are paramount to me.

Take care, Tom.