side effects

• 6 replies
  • 111 subscribers

hi, i was diagnosed with prostate cancer on 27/12/19. had the radiotherapy, hormone injections all in 2 years. all last year the side effects were bad and i still get very bad tiredness. i asked everyone that would listen from hospital and doctors and the general answer is you will just have to live with it as your body has went through a lot. it is affecting me a good bit. dont want depression again as its not nice but can feel it coming . any help please?

• What side effects are you experiencing? I do get very tired and need the loo more often but i find if i can get out with my dog first thing in the morning before the tiredness hits i feel better. I also go to cafes for soup and coffee for lunch sometimes as a treat.

Its little things that make things feel  better, I accept my diagnosis (advanced prostate cancer) and just do what I can when I can.

I hope this is of some help

Keith 

• cheers keith, constant tiredness. i work full time but need to sleep all the time. still up 2/3 times a night too. its getting me down

• Hi

The side effects are what we have to put up with, living with them is a hard thing for a lot of us, once you’ve had the treatment you cannot take it out, it’s better than going the other way. Is there a Maggies centre near you, if so do not be afraid of just popping in and having a chat, Barring that does your doctor know of your predicament, they may be able to offer some advice. Just keep positive you’ve done the worst bits.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Ironhead

I'm afraid that fatigue is a very common side effect of hormone treatment. I have been on hormone treatment since my diagnosis, 4 years ago.

I had to give up work due to the side effects of aching joints and a lack of energy. I am not aware of any supplements or medication available to counteract this problem but I have always found that light exercise, such as gardening or walking, have helped me both mentally and physically. If you have had a problem with depression in the past, I am sure that you will find such activities will be of great help to you.

Very best wishes...

• When did you finish your Hormone Therapy?  It will take about a year for all that to clear out of your "system" so you should see a decrease in the HT side effects as you get on through the year after you stop.  What urology medication are you on?  Maybe you should ask for a change in that as quite often after treatment a change is needed as symptoms are different.  The thing is to exercise as much as you can - I continued to go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week all the way through my treatment and found it helped with the fatigue muscle wastage, weight gain, and mood swings from HT to the extent that I hardly noticed them.  Do you have a Maggie's Centre near you?  they sometimes do a recovering from PCa treatment course which you may benefit from if you can get to it.

• hi, freefaller, i am on no meds at this time. it was over a year since i had my last injection.i have an appointment for bloods tomoz so will have to wait on the results. thank you all for getting back to me. onwards as they say. cheers