Questions to ask the Oncologist

• 23 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hello all you knowledgeable people.  My husband was diagnosed in October with PC Gleeson score 4 + 4 PSA 7 N0M0.  Since we saw the Urologist and he told us it was PC and the probable treatment would be HT followed by radiotherapy, we haven't had much follow up.  There was a MDT meeting and we had a phone call to say a prescription of one month's Bicalutamide tablets were to be collected from our surgery followed by an injection of Decapeptyl to be repeated at 3 month intervals.  His second injection is due in March.  Getting on ok, apart from hot flushes, and fuzzy mind.  Feeling breathless but not sure if that is connected.  He has now received a telephone appointment with an Oncologist for Thursday morning.  Obviously disappointed it is not face to face.  We are worried that we won't ask all the right questions, and would welcome your help with this.  Definitely want to be prepared, who knows when we will speak to anyone again!

• Hi zanderW sorry to hear about your husband, if you answer or just a chat you are on the right site. Telephone appointments are quite usual, before hand make a list of questions and don't be afraid to ask.

Flushing,fuzzy head and being breathless is normal, for a better understanding read my profile.

All the best Ulls

• Hello Zander, I agree face to face consultations are much more appropriate. The Oncologist gets to see you and my personal view is something is lost with a 'phone call. Is the R.t/H.t the definite treatment because I note the Urolocgist stated' probable.' It may be the Oncogist has more to say on the subject if the P. C. has not spread outside. Is surgery an option. Ask about the side effects of all the treatment on offer, how many weeks of R.t and what it entails. The side effects of R.t/H.t /surgery can have an impact on your lifestyle and you need to know. In my instance I was offered surgery or R.t /H.t by the Urologist but I would need bone scan. Then saw Oncologist with bone scan results and surgery wasn't an option due to bone metasis. I hope all goes well for your husband Thursday and send best wishes, Graham. 

• Thanks for your reply Ulls.  Interesting that you say breathlessness is a side effect.  Our GP said it wouldn't be the HT, but couldn't find any other cause.  We do a lot of walking and it is quite scary sometimes.

• Thanks for your reply and and advise Graham.  Yes, very disappointed it is not a face to face meeting.  It would be so good to have some sort of personal touch in all this.  I have found this site so helpful, because sometimes I feel no one cares.

• Hi

Feels like the HT is causing the breathlessness, as I had the same problem. I, too like walking and early on it was impossible to get up hills, I would have sailed up normally, without stopping numerous times. I have been on Prostap for 2 years and stamina and breathlessness, improved over time. I found it helped pushing myself to get up the hill too.

Trying to get fit again was the key for me!

Hope this helps!

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi

Couldn't agree more. The NHS although wonderful just seem to cut one loose after the procedure has finished. There is very little 'after sales customer service'. 

For me Macmillan have been a godsend.

Regards

Trying to get fit again!
  • Thanks for that Scampidoodle.  We have been pushing up hills trying to keep fit, but I have been concerned that it was doing more harm than good.  I notice you are on Prostap as are many others on here.  Do you know why different HT are used or is it just personal choice of the Oncologist.  I'm not sure about the different kinds of RT either. 

• Hi Zander

I can't comment on why there are different types of HT but I suspect yhere are others on here who are more versed in the differences. I didn't ask too many questions around any of my treatment other than to ask what we're the alternatives - there were none.

Again I'm not a RT expert and can only say that I received 37 sessions of external beam RT which, so long as I followed the diet sheet to the letter, wad fine. Boring but fine. The best bit was the banter in the waiting area - COVID I'm guessing has put paid to that!

Regarding pushing up hills. I am on a Macmillan funded trial which gives me ( at no cost) a 1:1 personal trainer via Zoom who helps get me fitter for ( in my case) getting up hills! She told me that my logic of pushing up hills was spot on so long as I listened to my body and stopped if I had to.  I wish I had been aware of it when I was at your husbands stage. The trial is managed by Southampton uni and if you want a contact I'm happy to pass it on - or the Macmillan guys on here I'm sure can also help. I think it's really good!

Hope this helps.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi Zander

I can't comment on why different HT is used but there are others on here who I'm sure can. I had 37 external beam RT sessions and for me it was the only option - truly I just went with the flow.

I am on a trial conducted by Southampton uni funded by Macmillan to help cancer patients get fitter. I get a free 1:1 training session via Zoom up to 3 times a week to help me achieve my fitness goal ( in my case getting up hills without stopping!) She told me that my logic was spot on so long as I listened to my body and stopped when it told me too. Anyway I only found out about it last September and wished I had known about it at the stage your husband is.

I can't recommend it highly enough and if you are interested the Macmillan guys on here will be able to help or I'm happy to pass on my contact at the uni.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hello again Zander, my Oncologist offered only Prostap. I think I will ask at my next appt. why. He told me when I had my first referal that the Hormone treatement could work for up to 3 years and the 'cancer cells misbehave' (his very words) and then we will try alternatives. For myself I have found my cancer care co-ordinator a godsend as she can be contacted directly and will try to sort out any issues you have. Her post has limited funding which I hope it is extended as her role is so important. She is the link to the Oncologist and other depts and referrals. All her patients have been sent a satisfaction survey to decide on further funding. I am living in hope.

Regards, Graham.