PEANUTS, GALECTINS AND METASTASIS

• 4 replies
  • 112 subscribers

I love salted peanuts. Or rather loved. I'm T3B non-metasised. I came across this Liverpool University study from 2014 which claims that peanuts in generous quantities encourage metastasis. Oddly, cashew nuts seem not to and certainly walnuts do not - there are several studies noting the benefits of walnuts in slowing down the spread of PC. But "The researchers warned that eating peanuts once you had cancer would therefore be expected to have an adverse effect on cancer survival."

The problem here is galectins, which are know promoters of various cancers, including PC. Another Chinese paper in 2020 confirmed the 'cytokine storm' cause by galectins. My feeling about all research is that if it comes from a reputable source it deserves attention, so I thought that it might be useful to let my friends here know about these studies. I would suggest you do your own research, but personally I will never eat another peanut, salted or otherwise.

Links are here in this article:  www.canceractive.com/.../can-eating peanuts spread cancer

• Hi jonno75

I did know about nuts especially red ones very bad for you, these were my ultimate favourite, the walnuts if you eat just a few a day, help your liver you have to chew them really well.

Keep sending the posts, there always worth a read.

Sttay safe

Joe

• Didn't know that peanuts were not good for cancer.  We generally  eat a variety of nuts including a couple of peanuts occasionally  - though never salted ones.  At the moment we can't get peanuts in their shells anyway at our health food shop - or anywhere else for that matter so not an issue in the last year  or so.  Goodness knows if this is to do with Brexit, shortage of Drivers or Covid causing a lack of workers to pick them or whatever.  So now won't eat them.  Thanks for this info.

• I didn’t know this either. 
    I have a 200g bag of monkey nuts every week. I buy these from Tesco, if they don’t have them I get them from my local Sainsbury’s. 
    I have a telephone consultation with my oncologist next week & will ask her. I was always under the impression that nuts were good for you.

Tyler

• Nuts generally are, but peanuts - despite the name - aren't really nuts at all!

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.