Family discussion

• 7 replies
  • 115 subscribers

Currently I’ve been diagnosed with low grade non aggressive Prostate cancer(Gleason score 6) , I have two sons one is diabetic, one is 43 the other is 45 years old , how do I approach telling them about my cancer 

really need some guidance as I’ve known for almost 2 years now and can’t find a way to introduce the subject 

• Hi

first your cancer is either very treatable or curable, personally I think the later having a Gleason of 6. There’s never an easy way apart from just being honest, telling them and let them know hopefully a treatment is being looked at. Once you know you will tell them and keep them informed.

Its not like the olden days when cancer was hardly treatable, todays medications are very advanced and getting better.

Apart from incurable PC I have diabetes to so I never hide anything.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Joe.

I think that it does make it easier to tell them if it's non aggressive and easily treatable.

There's every likelihood that u will be around in 10 years time.

If you have known for 2 years I presume u have either had treatment or on active surveillance.

Best wishes

Steve

• Hello Joe, I have a son and daughter, both live down the country. As for me I told them what was happening with tests, etc straightaway as I saw no point in keeping stuff from them. So when the incureable diagnosis came they were 'up to speed.' Both were understandably upset and my daughter put herself to doing fund raising for research and raised £700. I think you need to tell them sooner than later and give them your reasons for not opening up sooner.

Sure they will understand and  be supportive and you surely will feel better in the long run.

Best wishes, Graham. 

• At their ages they should also be thinking about getting regular PSA tests - from about 45 years old.  As you have been diagnosed with prostate cancer they are more likely to get it so maybe a good way to bring this up is to ask them if they have thought about getting tested and then tell them that you have low grade prostate cancer so they really should get regular  PSA tests.  If you see a poster or a TV advert about prostate cancer when you are with them this could be a way into the discussion or get the prostate cancer charity badge and use that as a way to get this into the conversation.  When I was diagnosed I was told by the consultant to go out and tell all of my male relatives and friends to ensure they get regular PSA tests as caught early Prostate Cancer is curable 6 years out from treatment for Gleason 7 Hormone Treatment and Radiotherapy and my PSA is still undetectable .

I still remind all my male relatives and friends that they must continue to get regular PSA tests - they are probably sick of hearing about it but I don't care.

• I don't think there's an easy way, but I do think it's important that you tell them, especially as you may need treatment at some point - and they want to get a PSA test. You'd never forgive yourself if one of them got PCa before you told them about yours.

"There's something I've been meaning to tell you ..." may be a good way to start.

You'll feel better once you've got it off your chest - you've already got PCa hanging over you (we all have!), why have a bad conscience as well?

Tell 'em!

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi Young joe,

After getting over the shock of my diagnosis in March 2020, my wife and I had to decide the best way to break the news to our 4 adult children. I know it is not always possible for some people but we decided to tell them face to face, we felt honesty was the best policy and we owed them that at least. It was the most difficult news I have ever had to deliver to anyone never mind my kids. Being honest outright turned out to be the best decision for us. Yes there were tears and upset but it all turned out fine considering. The good thing, no lies, excuses or deceit, just being comfortable with your family who I'm sure will give you plenty of support. Please don't think I'm being critical of you for waiting 2 years, I'm not. Different people handle difficult situations the way they see fit and no one has the right to judge them.

Take care, Tom.   

• Hi young joe just sit them down and be honest with them, only problems I can see is that they ask why you waited so long.

All the best Ulls