Constipation

• 4 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Advanced prostate cancer with bone mets. Husband admitted to hospital, I'm so angry query on cord compression, scan done no compression but several fractures but not for surgery, vomiting several times a day palliative care changed cyclizine to metoclopramide which was better but hospital have changed it back!! No bowel movement for 10 days and they're doing next to nothing. Trying to get them to listen is nigh on impossible, and they never update me on anything. What is wrong with these people. 

• Hi

I definitely feel your pain, seeing what’s happening and being helpless is one of the worst positions, especially for family. I had kidney stones the pain ( and I can take pain ) made me shiver and sweat, all my wife could do was watch not knowing what I had ( apart from PC ) she never slept while I was in hospital, it broke my heart knowing this. 
    what I would personally do is ask the top doctor dealing with his case, see what is happening, he has to tell you it’s law.

Stay safe

Joe

• I feel her pain. I've already lost over 2 stones. We've finally got some treatment started after lots of cross words at staff, it amazes me that nurse don't advocate for their patients and I'm afraid I got very cross with misinformation I've been given. (I was a senior nurse for 30 years so they picked the wrong one to fob off) constipation resolved but will be an ongoing battle as he's now got spinal cord compression and no feeling in his legs. But we're still here and fighting. Love to your wife. X

• You keep telling them!! I was a nurse myself for years and it’s a different ball game when you see how little they do nowadays compared to what we used to do. Family knowledge used to be very important in the whole assessment of the patient. We also used to spend the time to reassure and support them. My husband is also stage 4 with bone and lung mets and I’m dreading the day if he needs to go in. 
    Thank god for MacMillan.

much love to you both xxx

• Thank you. Yes nursing is very different now. All machines and tech and jargon. I will continue to battle for him and to stand up for his basic rights. And yes the mcmillan palliative nurses have been brilliant. Care compassion and no lies.