Muscle Loss and Change of Personality

• 6 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hello, my husband was diagnose with prostrate cancer back in 2019. He went on chemotherapy and radiotherapy and is taking every 3 months hormone injections to keep the testosterone level low.  He has lost a vast amount of muscle strength to the point that he cannot lift his head (he walks with his head down) and also walk with difficulties.  Has anyone had a similar situation?  Also he has changed enormously, I feel that he is not the same man I married 20 years ago.  He does not talk to me, he does not show any signs of affection (only towards to the dog that I've got for him to motivate him to go outside and do some exercise).  In my view he is a stranger to me as he is not the same at all.  I am giving him all the care and support he needs and I cannot give anymore, I am mentally exhausted and very sad with his change.  Has anyone faced similar circumstances?  Thank you  

• I'm really sorry to hear this. Can I ask how old your husband is? I'm 65 and can feel some changes in the body after only 5 months on HT. Certainly some gym work, including swimming, no matter how gentle, is essential to cope with the side effects of the drugs and helps to lift mood. A forum like this is also useful to gain knowledge but there are also local Macmillan support groups and Macmillan nurses that can help so that you husband would not need to rely on the internet.

So many people I speak to have also had prostrate cancer in the family. You just need to begin the conversation.       

• Hi Zuca

Living with this disease as I call it, is something no one can really understand until it’s happened to them. I’m one of those people who just gets on with it and help and give information where I can.

Its a great pity how his mannerism has changed, especially towards you, my heart goes out to you, I’ve seen a few on here who have suffered the same way, such a shame.

What has the doctor said about the way he carries his head, or the oncologist ? As this could be the cancer in his bones causing that, ( not that I’m saying it is ) also have you ever talked with McMillan nurses ? Their great at re-leaving stressful situations.

Stay safe

Joe 

• HI Joe, thanks a lot for your message.  I am very sorry to hear that you have been through this also.  I totally agree with you on this.  What I know is that the muscle strength in his neck is very weak and that is what is causing his head to be down as he has got no strength to lift his head.  I have said to him to ask the oncologist on his next telephone appointment and see what the doctor says about it.  He had a bone scan and it has been all clear. I will contact mow the Macmillan nurses, thanks a lot of that.

Take great care Joe and thank you!

• Hi, thanks for your message.  He is 75 years old.  He takes our puppy for walk as this is the only exercise I can make him does.  It is difficult as the physiotherapists has given him some exercises to do but he does not. At least the dog is helping in some way.

• Hello Zuca, I am on week 4 of radiotherapt and monthly Prostap injections. I had a 'phone consultation with my Oncologist on Wednesday and told him my wrists, elbows, shoulders and neck were painful. Wrist pain is the worst, feeling I am going to drop something when I pick things up like a cup, etc. He has prescribed calcium and next appt. he said will be face to face to check things. I am 68.I have found on Prostap that I become very emotional. For example I was at a Billy Bragg concert recently and 2 of his songs had me in floods of tears. The worst thing on Prostap is the hot flushes and sweats which are debilitating. I am keeping a diary of them and 20 a day is the norm. Am on a 10 week course of accupuncture to try and help with the hot flushes, have had 5 sessions (sessions are free for cancer sufferers). My wife, like yourself, has been very understanding as to my situation. Why not speak to Macmillan, they are excellent and supportive. I have also visited my local Maggies centre in Newcastle (there are a good few around the country) and they welcome cancer sufferers and their relatives. Again another excellent service.

Sending you and your husband best wishes. Regards, Graham. 

•   im on hormone therapy, it's drained me. Discovered a b12 deficiency, also depression limked to therapy. Speak to your gp, maybe b12 injections and antidepressants might help