Brachytherapy

• 8 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hi 
I have recently been diagnosed with PC aged 55 , Gleason 3.4  and have been offered brachytherapy or surgery to remove prostate 

I am undecided what to go for , I have been told the outcome with both are good all going well but not sure on the long term outlook would be for the brachytherapy 

I had never heard of it until now

Does any one have any information on brachytherapy 

Thanks

• Hi tallgrass

that is correct Surgery or external bean Radiotherapy / Brachytherapy will produce much the same result.

things to consider , surgery is difficult after Radio/brachy but not the other way round.

there is the potential for urinary issues and ED problems with surgery so at 55 u may be concerned about that.

Not everyone that has surgery will obviously have these problems or they can fade away over time but not always..

your stats seem quite low , although u  don't mention your PSA, so looks like time is on your side.

best wishes

Steve

• Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply 

My PSA was 5.3

I just get the feeling brachytherapy is a quick fix and I am more likely to get cancer back again later on 

I know that could also happen with the surgery to 

I suppose its the thought the prostate is still there 

Its a very hard choice to make 

• I suppose it's understandable to think that if you remove the prostate it will all be over.

As u recognize it can come back, often doesn't though.

I had RT nearly 5 years ago and everything still ok, no side effects.

Surgery is a major op, RT is a lot simpler.

That's just my opinion.

There are lots of pro's and cons for each, hopefully others might post 

Steve

• Hi Tallgrass,

I would suggest speaking to a consultant/radiologist that will carry out the brachytherapy if you can. Every case is different, like the position of cancer in the gland, the size, one side or both, histology of the cancer cells ,these might make a difference to the outcome.

I have similar stats as you (55 and gleason 3.4, PSA 4.5), I was told that surgery was the best option for me given my age and that radiotherapy ( external beam, not brachytherapy) was possible after as a back up. I was also told that given my age and the stage of the cancer incontinence would be unlikely. I am now just over 3 weeks post surgery and I am dry most of the time. Its only if I allow the bladder to get too full I get a tiny dribble. I will have to wait to see what ED problems I will have.

Having radiotherapy either external beam or brachytherapy means surgery may be more difficult or not an option if there is  recurrence as Grundo has mentioned.

My older brother who also had prostate cancer, went for the brachytherapy and he has now been cancer free for over 16 years. His only complaint was urgency of wanting to pee at the beginning and then later restrictive flow for which he has to take medication for.  Other than that he has been happy with his choice. 

It seems you have a bit of time to find out more before deciding.

all the best

• Thanks 

All the best 

• My brother had brachytherapy over 3 years ago but he was 71.  Over the 3 months after the brachytherapy he had some minor urinary problems which were easily remedied with medication and now he is fine with undetectable PSA.  He has never needed further treatment.  You need to talk with the surgeon and the radiologist who would perform the brachytherapy.  Although surgery after prostate radiotherapy of any kind is difficult it is not impossible but not many oncologists offer this.  My oncologist does and has promised me he would operate for me if the cancer ever comes back but its nearly 6 years on from my radiotherapy and so far I haven't needed to see him since the two year post treatment and PSA still undetectable.  It is a hard choice to make especially when you are young

• Hi, what did you do in the end? I am faced with the same decision. It looks like a less invasive solution so very tempting. When I look at stats, the outcome on cancer treatment is the same I.e. won't cone back for early stage.

But the side effects seem easier than surgery.

Thanks

• Hi AXL

I went for the surgery after speaking to my consultant , I had it over christmas and feeling back to my self now 

I still wear a pad for work as my job is physical and sometimes leak but Im dry at night 

Having a few issues with ED but it does seen to be getting better 

When I had my 6 week review with the surgeon he told my I was actually 4.3  and not 3.4 which is more aggressive but I had clear margins and my psa was now 0

So I am glad I went for the surgery 

All the best