Father diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer with bone mets

• 15 replies
  • 116 subscribers

My Dad who is a fit and healthy man in his mid 70's has been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer which has spread to his bones.  Inside I am in pieces on the outside I am trying to keep the positivity flowing to keep his spirits up.  He is the most pragmatic, level-headed man I know and is made of very strong stuff.  He has started on hormone therapy and is due to see a consultant to have further scans done with the possibility of tablet chemo as a supportive measure.  I am pleased to see there are some very positive stories on this site which is keeping me going.  I would appreciate as many positive stories as possible so that when the nighttime gremlins creep in at 4 am I can look at these and have a bit of hope for what I can only see at the minute as an uncertain future ahead.  Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I wish you all the best of luck on your individual journeys as both a patient and carer.

• Hi

sorry how things are going, your dad seems a great guy, ready to face whatever is thrown at him. I have no idea if he has underlying conditions, bone mets affect everyone differently, strangle enough mine was found firstly through pain in my shoulder, which led onto where I am today. Keeping positive from the beginning is a very good thing it’s a hard and long journey, bad days good days, but you being there for him is a big plus.

I although married, I was a person who helped everyone, never asked for anything in return, then this happened, although I’ve had it over five years, the odd time I do get upset when people help me.

Now medication has vastly improved over the years, even for me, your dad is going to have lots of years a head of him, the PC teams are great at knowing what steps to take, and have his welfare in their and his best interest, so it’s fine you worry it’s natural, but as I’ve said, they know their jobs and if you really want to talk to someone, McMillan nurses can visit and tell you and your dad how things will go.

Stay safe

Joe

• Good Morning

Thank you so much for your reply that has helped me so much.

• Hi. I’m currently awaiting my Dads final results but like you, he is a very fit and active man is his mid 70’s. He’s had no symptoms until recently when we have had to start this journey. It’s really difficult and the waiting is one of the hardest parts!

This site has been invaluable though already, if you have any questions you can guarantee someone will be there to answer.

Sending love to you and your family x

• Thankyou and I hope all goes well with your Dad. 

1. I feel so much for you.

my dad - who is the hero of my life!- is 72 and dx with stage 4 just this week.   I don’t know many details yet and I am so scared.  

i feel for you x

*Learning God is in control and every day holds the chance of another miracle.*

• Hi Jaymacabee123

You must have read plenty of the replies from people who come on here, waiting is a terrible thing, when a light is shone on everything and the oncologist team have worked out a medication plan, he will be in great hands.

Scared is part of the process, I defy anyone men or women who have not gone through the same as you. Just keep chatting to us , we will do our best to give advice where we can.

Stay safe

Joe

• I was 50 at diagnosis, surgery, post surgery bloods and scan shows mets to bones. Chemo,  now on hormone therapy for life, consultant reckons with modern treatment I could have 10 to 20 years if not more. I think we just need to take each day as it comes. Not to expect or fear the future just enjoy the present. I can’t change what the future holds but I can do everything I can to enjoy today.

• I'm 65 with extensive bone mets diagnosed in August so my experience is limited. So far Enzalutamide appears to be a very good drug (classed as chemo tablets). I'm now fit and well with limited bone pain and awaiting the first blood tests. Calcium Carbonate tablets also seem to help. I've been given 5 to 7 years on current treatment. Of course it be be less but it could be much more. Staying active and positive is so important to help the treatment in my view.    

• HI, Thank you, It's so good to hear what your consultant said to you. My husband was diagnosed a few months ago - very high PSA, 191 - MRI confirmed it had spread to his spine and pelvis although he's not in any pain there. So far enzalutamide and hormone tablets/injections  have vastly lowered his PSA and his consultant said that his cancer had gone into 'hibernation'. Not really sure what that means. Since the initial consultation with him when he casually dropped into the conversation the fact that the cancer had spread into my husband's bones  - we haven't seen him face to face. his bedside manner could do with some fine tuning to put it mildly, but for him to have said the word 'hibernation' gave me a lot of much needed hope.  I don't really want to have a life expectancy given to us, unless he's about to die imminently, but my husband really pushes for it. And then the consultant mutters something about 'five years' . But to hear that you've also had it spread to your bones and you've been told 10 - 20 years is wonderful. I'm so happy for you. I too try to live in the moment and my husband does try too, but it's very hard sometimes. 

• I"m so sorry to hear about your father. I'm the wife of someone recently diagnosed and it's horrible isn't it? Trying to keep positive for your own benefit and trying to keep your beloved positive at the same can be exhausting, and lonely. I too love hearing positive stories from the lovely people on this forum, some of whom have taken the time to reply to me and to my husband. It's so much appreciated. I do wish you all the best