Advanced PC newbie

• 14 replies
  • 113 subscribers

Hi there.  

So I've had psa ( 67) and an mri and they inform me that as well as testosterone treatment I will need chemo.i had a ct yesterday and have 1st meeting with the oncology in 4 weeks time. My main question is what was your experience of that 1st meeting?

My other half will be there and I want to protect her as much as possible.  

• Hi G man I can assure you that your first meeting with your oncologist will be fine. I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer and my (psa count was 2125) they couldn't understand how I was still around,they explained everything to me but also don't be afraid to ask any questions that you may have. They gave me 3/5 year's and as you can amagine I was pretty shocked to say the least, that was June 2018 and I'm still here living with cancer. I know personally it's not easy but if you do what they told me and that if you keep a PMA Positive mental attitude you will keep strong. I think many people living with cancer have good and bad days I still do but keep positive and don't be afraid to ask for help with any subject and don't think your on your own I'm living proof of that and I've had chemo mri's ct scans you name it, stay safe and mentally strong and you'll get through.

Hope this has helped and all the best for a long and happy future   Ian

• Thanks so much.  I think the waiting to know exactly where I  stand is the worst thing  . .  So far   Glad to hear from you  

• Hi Ian

If you are anything like me I was still in a 'bubble when I met my consultant. As a result, I really wasn't prepared and didn't necessarily ask all the questions I should have. 

I would suggest, a few days before, jot down all the questions you can think of. Take them with you, and, if the consultant doesn't cover them at least you have them to hand.

Good luck with your meeting.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Really good to hear. I had a PSA of 400 but since going on Firmagon it has dropped to around 6 in two months. All my tiredness and most bone pain has gone. Enzalutamide seems to be the next step.

• Hi G man

Yes you should take your other half with you, two sets of ears are better than one, plus the lady may have some questions you might forget about, so write them down, chemotherapy is good.

if the cancer has broke through and is not contained, then after the chemotherapy you should be given radiotherapy about two months after chemotherapy, you will still be on hormone tablets or injections for some time, in my case there for ever. When you start your chemo just be aware you will catch anything very easily as your immune system will be low.

stay safe

Joe

• Just a thought here, I have not had chemo but I know a few people who have had it.  Most recently my brother-in-law had it for gullet cancer just a couple of years ago.  Although both he and his wife (my sister) were over 65 neither of them had ever bothered to have the flu jab and had to wait at least 10 days after having the jab before he could start chemo so, if you have already got an appointment for your flu jab great, if not I would make sure you both get an appointment as soon as possible.

My brother-in-law was lucky enough not to lose much of his hair during chemo and what he did lose grew back darker and more lush so you could say every cloud etc.

All the best.

• Thank you very much. 

• Flu jab appointment just come through but great advise thank you 

• G man

very important you get flu jab if your going to have chemo, as chemo will knock the stuffing out of your immune system. also be very careful when you are aroud other people as you vunerable to pick things up very easerly my oncologist told me to stay clear of ANY public transport and just use a taxi and only then when i needed to maybe different for you but i live in london.

• HI Ian, Thanks so much for putting this up here. My husband was diagnosed fairly recently with T4N1 M1 - not great news. So always looking for people in a similar situation who can give me any sort of comfort and hope! Keeping positive is the choice we try to make but as you say, there are good days and bad days.  Thanks again and my very best wishes