Spine mets

• 16 replies
  • 113 subscribers

My husband has stage 4 Gleason 9 prostate cancer with mets in heel, ankle, knee, liver and now just told it’s in his spine. Anyone else similar to this? It’s taken 18 months from diagnosis to this. Just waiting for radiotherapy appointment. 
min hospital at minute with suspected spinal compression. Scary times.

• Indeed. I hope the radiotherapy helps against the cord compression. Are you getting support locally?

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Palliative care team are being brilliant 

• Hi my husband was diagnosed with advanced prostrate cancer 18 months ago.  Chemotherapy, radiotherapy and prostap hormone treatment worked well up to March this year when he started to get back pain.  After weeks of fighting for an M R I scan he was told he had a tumour on his spine and spread into left and right 6th rib.  After receiving one heavy dose of radiotherapy, taking additional hormone treatment Baltimore and receiving fantastic treatment to control the pain from the MacMillan nurses, he is now experiencing a good quality of life.  Short walks and plenty of reading keep him in good spirits.  Good days and bad days with side effects, fatigue and occasional days showing signs of emotion.  The one thing we both worry about is spinal compression which we were made aware of by both consultant and McMillan team.  As you say scary times.  Hope things are going well.

• Bicaltumide.  Didn't spell check!!

• Hello

PC wether curable or not is very scary, with us incurables we love from one day to the next, keeping as positive as possible, always hoping that around the corner is the cure. I know how he must be feeling not to mention yourself, we all on here hope he gets medication to help him through these hard times.

Stay safe

Joe

• My husband took nerve pain in his right buttock so severe he presented to A and E on a weekend, called the surgery the Monday and finally was admitted to cancer hospital for MRI on the Wednesday. It turned out it was a new mass pressing on his spine that caused it but they were worried about spinal compression until they got the results. He has had radiotherapy to try and shrink it. They are talking about letting him out Friday. He was pretty fit up until that point. He is only 50 so very young to get it in first place. Was diagnosed last year in July with stage 4, Gleason 9 in lymph nodes and slightly in right hip bone. Nothing to show on PSA that cancer was growing again as it was negligible however now it’s in his lower stomach, pelvis area and spine. They’ve biopsied to find out what type it is as it must have mutated but have said this is really rare. We’ve yet to learn about bone scan. What I’m finding tricky is that I’m getting info second hand off hubby and he’s so out of it on morphine for the pain most of the time that communication isn’t really working. Also on a ward which is great for his mental health but no privacy. He says things like we might need banisters or they are saying we need home alterations. Sometimes he gets upset and I have to go in and calm him down after someone has been in telling him stuff. I’m hoping that if he is coming home Friday that we have some sort of meeting with everyone as soon as possible. I’m really frustrated by the lack of communication. I have a 16 and 19 year old at home so I need time to get it all organised and sort out if any adaptations need making and prepare kids if nurses are coming in to do pain meds etc... It’s really tough. I don’t understand why spouses are so out of the loop when they are the pivotal carers. 

• I have a 16 and 19 year old at home so I need time to get it all organised and sort out if any adaptations need making and prepare kids if nurses are coming in to do pain meds etc... It’s really tough.

You need to say exactly that to the ward sister. It may be that your husband has told them 'not to worry you' - it happens - and it's certainly likely that they don't realise that there's a problem.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis and the trouble your having. Like somebody has said I would contact the ward and tell them your worries. My wife did when I was in hospital having scans and an operation and after she did ever time I was seen by a doctor or given any information they would prompt me to ring or face time my wife so she could talk to them and hear all the information. It really helped her and my family as I was out of it and not retaining any information. 

Regards

Paul

"Diagnosed March 2021 at 38 years old with stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer, my journey so far is on my profile"

• Yes it could be that your husband and told them not to bother you as well as communication being so "hit and miss".  Next time you go to the hospital ask to have an urgent meeting with the sister in charge and talk about this.  Explain your circumstances with you children who live at home.  Sleeping arrangements and where your lavatory is - ie would he need to go upstairs during the day or down stairs at night and is he capable of doing this?  Would he be better off with a hospital type bed which can be lowered to enable him to get out and so on and so on.  They can arrange for a commode and a bed for you  my brother-in-law had all these things in the house when he had such things so it can be done whether by the NHS - whether hospital or GP or Social Services and can be done in a matter of days but you really need to know what needs doing and it is pointless your husband being let out of hospital before all these things are in place.  In fact I would telephone the ward before you next visit and arrange such a meeting as they are often so busy that whether or not you have made an appointment for a meeting with them or not that they do not appear.  Believe me it has happened to me.  Please try not to worry too much but get in touch with the hospital so that whatever needs to be put in place can be.  The problem is here that when we are ill and worried we have to be so proactive with your care just when you have too much on your plate to think about all this.  You can do it you ladies are made of tough stuff.

All the best to you,  your hubby and all your family and do let us know how you get on and how he gets on.

• That does sound like him. He is a worrier!