Personality changes with prostate cancer

• 5 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hello.

My partner, who is my soul mate, was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer just under 3 1/2 years ago.  We started on the chemo, hormone injections and the last year a long period of radiotherapy.  We had very good months & some really dark weeks.  Covid came and with a mixture of no work, no family or friends round and me working as a nurse in a busy hospital his personality just changed.

He became angry, argumentative, moody (sometimes not talking to me for days).  I couldnt say the smallest thing as it just erupted into a full scale argument.  I blamed the medication changing his hormones and thought I’d just have to put up with it, but it was so stressful and I was constantly treading on egg shells.  He eventually went back to work in December and things got better.

Then his psa went up so they have changed his medication, which thankfully  has brought it down again, but I know longer recognise him.  Everything is my fault, he argues all the time.  He tells me he loves me one day and then the next its like he hates me.  I am so down and teary but he just wont listen to me.  I know he is dealing with a massive life changer, but I am too.  I just want to hug him and hold him, but he wont let me.  Im so sad how this horrible disease has affected us.  

Has anyone else experienced these personality changes.  I just would like to know that im not alone.

CryCryCryCry

• It may not be 'personality changes', it may be depression, which is treatable. Hormone therapy can certainly produce mood swings and other changes, but it may not be a hormonal thing, it may be a reaction to his situation, or simply an endogenous depression that can happen to anyone (but is not uncommon in older people).

The priority has to be getting to the bottom of what's going on, and getting something done if something can be done.

But whatever it is, you are not alone.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi

Hes gone through what many men have on here, Why Me, and with being alone for long periods he has built up a pass the guilt syndrome as I call it. He’s still youngish sees the world doing what it does and it’s passing him by, he dropped into a rut with you the only one who he can vent out his frustration on.

Meds do not help, they change everyone, where have his friends gone ? Just because we are on lock down there’s still the phone, or use the computer chat that way. More over a visit from McMillan nurses just to talk to him might do the trick.

Many ladies like yourself are going through this, cancer just makes things worse, when I retired I felt at a loose end, then came PC a year later, it devastated my wife, thirteen years my junior, who worries and stresses about me walking fifty yards to the shop. Still does after diagnosed nearly five years ago.

I’am the easiest going person you could meet, I’ve advised, helped and done whatever I can on this site for nearly the same amount of time, I always say I’am not a doctor, these are all experiences and what I have found out.

The lockdown is nearly ( and I say nearly cautiously) but if you both have friends, or family, get them down ( not more than six ) for a chat sandwiches a few drinks, whatever to get him talking to others, if you do this make sure he’s part of the conversation a few funny moments forget PC just general chat.

Hope that helps.

Stay safe.

Joe

• Hello Gaily.

Men's minds lock at 21 yrs old.     Mine did for sure.    

I'm 62 today, and just coming to the end of radiotherapy and hormone injection.  

I'm fairly fit, but still want to do all the things I did at around 21 ....  but I can't.  

It can be frustrating, especially with lockdown and being left alone with one's thoughts.

I can only tell you what got me through.    Outdoor exercise.   Cycling and walking.   

I live in an area of south Wales with mountains everywhere.   Do you live near anywhere near countryside?

Try and get out with him on walks, picnics and such.   If you can get some friends along,  now our freedoms are returning, all the better.        I can only go by my experience, and I found it a great help.   

Best wishes to you both.    

• My wife agrees with that JoJoGunne!  She also tells me that she saw a funny on fb recently saying that most accidents to older men are caused by them doing the things they did when they were younger in the same way as they did all those years ago and in physicality terms with the same gusto and wonder why they can't do these things, fall or cause more problems through trying to do these things or feel like poop the next day!  Personally at 77 I don't know when I shall grow up.  just about to get ladder out to check gutters before my wife stops me - I am joking - she has already done that! ;)

• so sorry you’re experiencing these issues, us men do not appreciate our partners enough, I struggled after finishing chemo. No energy, changing role in work, any ambition being curtailed, I no longer felt I could change jobs if I wanted, trapped, I’ve completed a mindfulness course, do regular yoga and am learning to be kind to myself and others, my wife said and was true I fought everyone, including myself. With the courses mindfulness, meds and learning to take it easy I’m improving, I need regular sleep 8 to 9 hours a night. I appreciate quiet more, choosing sometimes just to be quiet in bed. Not that I’m having a strop just being quiet.  You also need support, you’ve also been through so much. I’m 51 and feel trapped in a job that’s turned mediocre, recruitment consultants ringing knowing I can’t prove myself again. How do I just make the most of things, be satisfied for what I have, switch off from things which are wrong in work, let others take responsibility and make their own mistakes