Halfway through Chemotherapy, settings my day out...

• 4 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hi all, 

Just a quick up date,

So yesterday  I received my  third cycle of six  yesterday at the Marvolous Christie Hospital.

(Halfway through now) I will be rested after due 6 cycles and then on to Radiotheramopy.

Moving forward  I will be having bloods on the Monday before Chemo and instead of hanging around to have consultation for an hour + I will be sent home to receive a telephone consultation by one of the team on the Tuesday,  to reduce footfall in the hospital.

(Have started to visit Maggie's when I'm at the Christie's.

What a beautiful calming atmosphere, just does what it says on the tin.)

Followed by my next cycle on the Thursday.for Chemo

Well after cycle 3 yesterday-Drove myself home.

Gradually got more tired and fell asleep early for once.

Body usually starts to get more tired by 7.00pm

This was probably due to my early start and a long day, along with the treatment it's self.

Made up to find a beautiful card and a plant from my 22 year old daughter.

She has been such a star through this.

Even bought me a Charlie Maskey book at Christmas post it noting in all the emotions I may be going through (it goes everywhere with me)

Is called The boy, the mole, the fox and the horse.

Just a book you can dip into.

So I  am 61, my wife still works in a  very busy environment for a medical company and both my adult children live at home (and through there jobs are Covid tested weekly- this is reassuring to me/us all)

MY DAY  

I try to keep it as near to doing my normal as possible.

When they leave for work by 07.45 am, I clock on myself..

It's getting easier to keep a routine and I try to map my day out and use my excersise to walk my two English Springer Spaniels.on a small nature reserve at the end of my street ( do peaceful and an important place to reflect outside the house)

Don't get me wrong fatigue hits me aad when it does the housework and jobs list has to stop until my body ready ( usually a bit of a sit down )

Hot flushes mainly at night, from the Hormone Injections (Prostap) however positive news from Tuesdays blood test, is that my PSA has continued to fall with the treatment from 17 to 0.1

It's along journey I know, and as my locally advanced prostate cancer is "treatable but not curable" due to is spread to the lymph nodes deep in my pelvis.

I wake and say -

Ok come on " Energy, Strength and Determination Today"

Something I came up with while walking my dogs.

Each one of the words leads to the next-each making the next function possible, even if said in reverse ( one gives you the other)

Please take care everyone, these are difficult times in many ways, for us family and friends.

Take care and stay safe.

Just hope that this all makes sense and at least helps someone in some way.

Spud" 

"You don't know how Strong you are,

Until being Strong is your only choice"

Bob Marley

• Hi

Seems you have everything covered, that’s the way keep positive, I’ve gone through the same as you, nearly five years now, PSA was a little higher ( 893 ) but it dropped to 0.04 at one stage.

I know all about the side effects, fatigue and being tired are a devil, my wife would worry and stress and still does except a lot more now my PSA is climbing again 5.3.

I cannot stress how important it is to take your temperature once in the morning then at night, with your blood count being low a cold can be dangerous, I got sepsis after my third chemo and I never went out, obeyed all the rules, still no idea how it happened. 

Your listening to your body, which is great, keep the excersize going, try not to have to much sugar, best thing I found to eat was salads and soups and pomegranate juice.

Stay safe

Joe

• Thanks Joe,

Your words are kind and I take everything on board.

Just got back from my dog walk on this beautiful sunny morning, nice to see the Canadian Geese have arrived.

I diaris my temp am / pm along with all injections ( 7 now daily after my chemo and heparin for the next two years + which is to replace. my warfarin.

3 injection on one day next week with the Prostap due.

Ha ho all for a good cause.

Very nice to meet ,

Stay safe 

Thank you again 

Spud

• Hi Spud. You sound very organised with your routine. Your wife must really appreciate the help around the house.

Keep it up and keep in touch.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Thank you will definitely keep in touch,

That's very nice of you.

Spud