Pembrolizumab vs Docetaxel

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I have over the years read the chat for advice etc and I have found it very helpful. So thank you to everyone posting here.

I am writing today for some advice about my dad. 

He was diagnosed with prostate cancer (T1c N0 M0, gleason score 4+3, PSA 21) in 2007. 

He was treated with hormone therapy + radical external beam radiotherapy in 2008. 

Unfortunately the PSA began to rise in 2014 (27.3) - prostate biopsy was negative. Scans showed some markers in his spine, shoulder and pelvis so he began hormone therapy. We tried getting him on the stampede trial but were unsuccessful. The PSA dropped to 0.1.

In 2016 the PSA began to rise again slowly and reached 3.36 in February 2017. PET scan confirmed disease progression and he was put on Abiraterone/Prednisolone. He has done fairly well up until now (2021). During the course of Abiraterone he has had some palliative radiotherapy to his pelvis, shoulder and jaw. 

His PSA is starting to rise again and the oncologist has advised that now is the time to start chemotherapy (docetaxel). In the past month his PSA has jumped up from 2.6 to 4.2. 

The oncologist has given us a month of Abiraterone and needs a decision by next month. 

I have been researching immunotherapy and I have come across a clinical trial involving Pembrolizumab, which I believe my dad would be eligible for. I have read the findings of the Keynote trial and found them to be promising. However, My dad’s oncologist was not very forthcoming about it and indicated that immunotherapy has not shown promising results for prostate cancer. I felt he was pushing for chemotherapy. My dad is worried about the potential side effects and quality of life (he is very active and runs his own business). 

The questions I have come to ask are:

1. What are everyone's opinions on chemo vs immunotherapy for prostate cancer? (I'm looking for advice or any knowledge on the subject particularly Pembrolizumab)

2. We're not sure if my dad should go for chemo or wait a while? 

3. What are other people's experiences of docetaxel x6 sessions? 

Thank you all for your help and advice. 

• Hi

Sorry about all the trouble your dad is having, chemo effects everyone differently, in my case it knocked the stuffing out of me and I’am very fit, but having said that, it’s the best line of attack against PC.

Side effects vary, from hair loss to fatigue, if he takes the chemo I cannot stress how important it is to watch his temperature especially with this virus about, as it’s easy to catch anything with having a lower blood count.

After saying that I wouldn’t put anyone off chemo.

stay safe

Joe

• Hi,

I'm afraid I can't advise on Q1 or Q3, but I would advise your dad not to wait longer than Covid demands to start treatment.

Prostate cancer has a reputation as a slow cancer, and it is. But once it has started to metastasise, a wait is a risk that should usually best be avoided.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I had 6taxotere infusions and did well with few side effects. I am 71 and have had PCa since 2008. My tests showed rise in PSA and progression of bone Mets. I had a partial response of my adrenal glPrayds so we are doing taxotere for 3 rounds then evaluate and go to Jevtana. I don’t know about immunotherapy personally so no comments. Genetic testing helps making those decisions. Best of luck and cPraymo is best while your younger and stronger I was told. Still waiting for a curePray