Just starting Active Surveillance .

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Just started Active Surveillance had Biopsy Gleason score 3+4 =7 downgraded to 3+3=6 2 weeks later.

How have people got on with AC

kev

• Hi Kev

I'm in my fourth year of active surveillance. It's going well. Quarterly PSAs and annual MRIs all OK so far. I had no more biopsies because the original one was awful. I keep fit and avoid dairy products.

Best wishes for your AS.

David

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to David193

Thanks wot were your PSAs Did you have Gleason score which biopsy did you have? Ive had 2 biopsys first 1 was done under general anaesthetic 2nd was under local anaesthetic both the same type

cheers Kev 

• My PSA before diagnosis in 2017 was 3.5. Now it is around 4. My Gleason score was 6. I had a template biopsy.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm in the same boat as you. I was initially diagnosed with a Gleason score of 3+4=7. My PSA levels which led to the biopsy had reached 4.9. I had an MRI, through which they were unable to find anything. My urologist said the MRI results "look very good" and I have my first follow-up appointment in about 3 months (a 6-month appointment after the MRI). I believe this initial appointment will consist of a PSA test and a digital exam. Knocking on wood, hoping and praying that this situation holds off for many years to come. I also hope and pray the same for you.

• Hi I was diagnosed with Gleason score 3-3 and opted for active surveillance after considering removal and radiotherapy.

• Hi I was diagnosed in 2018  with Gleason score 3 -3  opted for active surveillance. I've since had 2 MRI scans which revealed no change in size. 

My psa varies from 4.5 to 6.5 on each test.

Am now on PSA tests every 6 months and praying for no problems from now on.

No more MRI scans or biopsy for time being. 

I do not have to pee during the night and my flow is good, so will carry on with active surveillance until such time as need treatment for time being

Chose active surveillance to avoid unnecessary treatment with my low Gleason score.

• Hi I'm in my second year of active surveillance so only having 6 monthly psa checks as MRI revealed no changes I'm with NHS consultant

So surprised your still having MRI in year 4?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to S.J.

Thank you all still getting my head round it all was set to surgery then got downgraded gleason 6 they advised to go AS 

keep well 

cheers Kev