feeling very tired again

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 108 subscribers

My dad as been on zytiga since a Feb, last psa score went up 10%. last few days he tells me he's feeling run down/tired. He has not felt this for ages. He must be bad he as stopped going to the golf driving range. im now in full panic mode. Can this side effect just start after months or as or is some bad stuff now happening?. Or even is this a good sign that tablets are kicking the big c's ass? long shot i konw but it's all i have.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

oh forgot, are there other treatments after this more tablets or more chemo? chemo worked well 1st time. anyone replies thanks for your time.

• Hi

I have been on Zytiga for about 2 weeks as the hormone injections alone were no longer keeping my PSA level down. This had risen to 17 having been lower then 1 for over 2 years. Fatigue and loss of energy seems to be a classic side effect of this drug and probably something one has to learn to live with. Try to encourage your Dad to take walks as often as possible as this does not involve the use of too much energy. It will also help to keep his mind occupied as I find that cancer has a tendency to dominate one's thoughts. 

I doubt that more chemo will be recommended but your Dad should speak to his consultant if he is at all worried.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Andy100

he's been on them since Feb, only now feeling the tired side effect (well thats what i hope it is).

Thanks for your time cheers.

• Zytiga is a strong and very expensive hormone drug which, unfortunately, has many side effects. I have been told that these side effects can be cumulative and this may account for your Dad's extreme fatigue. The drug can reduce potassium levels in the blood and the information sheet I was given said that you should request a blood test to establish if this is the case. Try and speak to your Dad's consultant or the cancer nurse at the hospital as I know this to be quite a common problem. I hope this is of some help to you. Best wishes.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Andy100

Thanks for replying, did talk to dad and we came up with that theory just hope it's correct. He did start to get nose bleeds about 2/3 months in for around a week and then they stopped. Just hope it's correct and it's just a build up over time.

many thanks.

• Hi ja32,

I replied to you on another post about Zytiga but I didn't mention my own side effects from the medication. In my opinion I have some but not all of the side effects of Zytiga, major fatigue, low potassium levels, insomnia, high blood pressure, hot flushes (mild), muscle weakness and shortness of breath. Yes its a lot to deal with but what helps me focus is that my PSA has dropped from 86 to level off at 0.1 for the last 4 months. I deal with any side effects as they come along as best I can because I know my treatment plan is working at the moment.

Stay strong and take care.

Tom. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to HarleyD

thanks for your reply, we started at a psa level of 10,000+. well done on your psa long may it continue. i can't thank you enough for your replies means so much. Thanks for your time and help best of luck cheers.

Thanks ja32