Prostap side effects

• 13 replies
  • 113 subscribers

Hi All

3 weeks ago I had my 4th Prostap injection.

My understanding, from research, is that Prostap is a slow release drug. Assuming this is correct, has anyone any idea why I am floored for 2-3 weeks after the injection? Struggled to get out of bed one day last week!

Any thoughts much appreciated! 

• Hi Scampidoodle, Can't help with the why but have had similar problems some mornings. Just feel so washed out you just want to sleep again. Not sure about the timing of this as I've not noticed how long after the injection it happens but it would say I think it get's better the further from an injection you get. (number 8 for me tomorrow).

Best regards Reg  

• Hi Reg

Many thanks for replying.

Things do get easier after 2...3 weeks but until I had escaped from the RT side effects I hadn't noticed how much the Prostap hit me after the injection.

Thanks again - at least I'm not the only one!

Regards

Stu

Trying to get fit again!
  • I’m on decapeptyl and again until escaped from effects of chemo didn’t really know what was hormone and what was chemo, I guess we need to adjust to the new normal 

• Dear All,

I had been on Zoladex hormone implants for 20 months when I heard that Prostap had less of a side effect of hot flushes which were  very regular every hour on the hour. I talked this issue through with my GP and changed to Prostap but only took 1 implant due to the side effects you are talking about including feeling very weird and not being able to think straight. I gladly welcomed back the hot flushes with Zoladex after this experience.

Best regards,

peter.

• Hello Peter,

I'm almost 3 months into Zoladex implants. Like you, getting regular hot flushes, but short lasting. Tummy swelling up a bit, and some fatigue and muscle wastage.

Will you be going on to Chemo or radiotherapy? I'm told it's implants for me for life!! Nothing else. I'm 76. Guess they think I'm a lost cause for getting rid of the cancer.

Thanks for the heads up on Prostrap...if it's offered I'll decline.

Keep safe.

John

• Hello John,

I had my radiotherapy 2 years ago and now been on Zoladex for almost 2 years. I am sure that the Doctors are looking after your best interest. What were your Gleason results like? Having Hormone therapy is most welcome to the alternative.

kind regards,

peter.

• Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply. My Gleason score is (was) 5+4 = 9 Grade 5. Locally advanced. Lymph nodes affected.

So your radiotherapy didn't eradicate the cancer cells?

My friend had Radioactive pellets inserted into his prostate cancer cells which eradicated them. He was advised to stay on Zoladex but the additional benefit was minimal so he declined and is still cancer free at 83.

I was hoping upon hope I could get rid of mine and find some kind of remission and avoid ongoing Zoladex treatment.. A bit too much to aim for I guess.

But as you say, HT is a good alternative... provided it keeps things under control.

I'm 76 now, I have a privileged lifestyle, lovely family and having lost my first wife to cancer, I'm now married to another beautiful lady.

So no complaints from me if things don't work out....but I won't be giving up just yet. Holiday plans for 2021 and beyond...and i want to see my stepdaughter and grandchildren married and become a great grandfather. 

So I'll plug on with my good friend Zoladex and be thankful for its benefits.

Thanks once again for your reply. 

Keep safe and best regards

John

• Hi John,

I am sorry to hear about your wife, Cancer is so cruel taking our loved ones before their time. I am happy that you have found love again, one thing is for sure that having Cancer has taught me is that the love of your Family and Friends is the most important thing in life.

For me a combination of radiotherapy and Zoladex has decreased my PSA level to non detectable and I am hoping that now that the implants have stopped that things will get back to normal. There is always a worry of its return but as you are doing we are planning Holidays and enjoying life as much as possible.

Best regards and stay safe,

Peter.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

At the end of April last year had my one and only Prostap 3 injection after one tablet of Bicalutamide for 30 days. Bicalutamide took  my PSA down to 4 and Prostap 3 Hormone Therapy took it down to about 2. I believe  but not sure Prostap comes in monthly doses at 3  times wheras some people prescribe it every 3  months and in my case once in 16 months,  Some days Bicalutamide took me as low as I have ever been but weathered it as you have to.. My  sole Prostap 3 lasted until about September with hot flushes the final  symptom but lots of tingling in various parts of the body in between.  Since then successive blood tests have given me PSA's of 12 and 16 and have  a letter recently from hospital saying next blood test is next January and threshold for more medication is 25 (Twenty five). I turned down radiation for logistical reasons like getting there and urinating every hour. I gather ingestion of lots of water is involved in Radiation treatment.  I  presume treatment is tailored to each individual but accept from this Forum that not everybody is singing from the same hymn sheet. Am not too bad at this moment but main problem is legs feel weak and am walking like an old man. I am nearly 80. With hindsight legs have been slowly deteriorating for a couple  years.  Hope this timetable  helps somebody. Bill Bryson in his book The Body opines that every man gets Prostate Cancer if he lives long enough.  

• Hello old timer,

I found your post interesting and (a little) amusing. 

I'm on 3 monthly Zoladex implants... forever now... and don't fully understand why you're on Prostap. Different stages? PSA levels? Age related? 

I was hoping RT would eradicate the cancer cells, but your mention of the potential problems and other guys warnings have convinced me to avoid it...HT being the best way...and the Zoladex side effects are tolerable...so far.

I was given the Bill Bryson book for Christmas and it seems to be a daunting read...but I looked up the part you referred to and along with other opinions, it looks like most of us will die with PC rather than from it.

I had to smile  when you wrote you were walking like an old man...then say you're nearly 80. Some might say you are an old man. I on the other hand could not possibly comment Slight smile

Keep safe, keep smiling and keep walking old timer..

John