I don't know what to expect!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 108 subscribers

I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer (it has spread to my bones) on 29th April.  I have had my first hormone injection but my chemotherapy was delayed because of the coronavirus.   I have a phone appointment on 10th August  but I am worried that they are going postpone my chemo again. I am assuming if they don't,  that this telephone appointment is to go through what happens next. I have heard that chemo can be in tablet form, does this make that side effects of chemo less harsh?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

Many thanks 

• I’m unsure what you’ve already gone through but for myself I had a session at the hospital explaining chemotherapy and what to expect.  I had 6 sessions of Docetaxel once every 3 weeks. The first few day or two was okay then the worst was days 3 to 5. Ensure you have a good thermometer digital is best and take your temperature regularly. The hormone injection will give hot flushes which makes you feel you have a temperature when you don’t.  I hope you’re treatment can proceed. 

I don’t know about the tablet form of chemo but would imagine it’s doing the same job so side effects would be similar, 

Rest when needed, I was 50 and needed plenty of rest. Accept help when you can, my lad bless him mowed the lawn the whole of last year due to surgery and chemo.  I learnt to be a passenger rather than drive.

Taste buds are ruined so nice treats like blueberry muffins are ruined, alll I could taste was the bicarbonate.  Ginger beer and green tea with ginger were a godsend.  Pharmacies and the gp’s help when things are tough, don’t suffer in silence, I had sore eyes and pains, also buy baby shower gel as my skin got sensitive. I shaved my head early on as I couldn’t bear seeing it fall out.

I think I’m making things sound worse than they were. It’s not easy but many people manage.

best wishes to you

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Hi GrandadBrian5,

Like Youngman I had a course of Docetaxal. 6 sessions in total.

Before I started chemo I visited my chemotherapy unit and had a through briefing on my treatment, side effects, contra indications, and what to do if I became, or though I’d become ill, and who to call in this event, or just for support and guidance. My unit was very helpful, supportive and friendly. ,

Young man recommends buying a digital thermometer. I bought one and it proved very useful, especially as when you call for support the first thing they ask for is your temperature. Done in a jiffy.

Lost my hair just over a week into the chemo. Shaved the remainder off, it looked such a mess before. Nobody looks twice at a bald headed man. Caused some amusement when I passed someone I knew and they didn’t recognise me   They were looking all over the place to find me. When it finally grew back, and it does, my therapist didn’t recognise me. Now the other way round.

Everyone travels their own path with cancer, however there is one common thing, and that’s listen to your body. When you’re tired, rest. It’s important to rest as your body can take a bit of a beating during chemo, so be kind to yourself, be a bit selfish if needs be, but rest when you need it.

Best wishes to you, and I hope your treatment goes well.