Blood Pressure

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Morning - I’ve been advised to check my blood pressure before starting some meds

Checked this morning and I’m 138/89

my concern is whether I check before starting the meds as this is a high enough reading?

• I presume that you take your blood pressure for a number of days and then inform your Doctor who then can either prescribe the medication or not?  If not do you have to take your blood pressure every time you take the medication?  What is the medication?  138/89 is on the highish side.  Just a few tips we were given when taking my elderly Mother's blood pressure.  The patient should sit down and relax for a few minutes before taking blood pressure.  Do not take blood pressure immediately after exercise - unless told to do so, or after a meal or drinking.  Then take 3 readings and choose the best of those.  I also find when taking my own I need to relax after putting the cuff on before turning the machine on as it always seems to be a tangle and quite a bit of exertion to get it on correctly.

All the best,

Des

• My blood pressure under medication is around that mark.  I find the more i take it the higher it gets. Like white coat syndrome 

As suggested ensure you are relxed before taking, that you're sat quietly etc  do you know what meds you'll be taking, are you expecting rise or fall?