Dad's cancer taken a turn

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi all,

I was quite active in this community a few years ago but life became more complicated and I couldn't keep up.  Dad's condition has taken a recent turn and I am anxious.  

My father is 77, has advanced Prostate Cancer and lives alone.

Staging Oct 2017:

pT2C M0 N0 adenocarcinoma of the prostate, Gleason 4+3, presenting PSA 13.4

Jun 2018 diagnosis:

2006 Hormone-resistant metastitic prostate cancer

Radical prostatectomy

Salvage radiotherapy

PSA relapse requiring LHRH agonist with addition of Bicalutamide

Metastatic disease in lymph nodes (6 months Enzalutamide)

2018 commenced Docetaxel for 10 treatments

This information has been extracted from consultant letters from Oct 2017 and Jun 2018.  Since then I only have the information dad has shared with me.  There has obviously been a change in his staging since Oct 2017 and I believe he is now in Stage 4 (lymph nodes, lower back, ribs).

Further developments:

2019 commenced a different hormone therapy for 10 treatments (can't remember name)

May 2020 tumour on nerve caused double incontinence.  5x radiotherapy treatment reduced tumour but unable to completely remove it in case of further nerve damage.

Swollen feet since returning home apparently a side effect of radiotherapy treatment.

Consultant has suggested they might try him on tablet chemotherapy.

Dad is the kind of person who does not face things head on.  He chooses to ignore what he doesn’t want to hear.  This makes it very difficult when he is the only source of information.  I get it, it is his cancer and he must deal with it as best he can but as a daughter I do not really understand how things are progressing.  It feels that things have taken a considerable turn for the worst recently but I don’t know how bad things are and I don’t know how to find out without probing dad, which I don’t really want to do.

Dad and I have a difficult relationship and he shares more with my sister.  They support each other but I only find things out mostly by accident.  It seems as long as they both know what's going on they don't think it necessary for me to know.  I have learned to accept this is the way they are but it makes it very difficult for me. If I contact my sister too much she ignores me.  We only communicate through WhatsApp.  As a result I only contact her when I absolutely have to and there is no guarantee she will reply.

I realise it is a difficult situation and each person responds to treatment differently, but I would appreciate any input on how things might progress for dad from here so I can gauge how quickly things may develop.

Thanks for any Input.

Ang1e

•   so sorry to hear yours and your fathers situation. It's difficult when you feel as you do, 

Some people like to bury their heads in the sand, that's their way, others like to face things head on. I can only suggest letting your dad know your there. Its difficult when you feel excluded ( I sometimes feel like that, sometimes it's true and others my paranoia)  it's a difficult time for everyone and emotions run high

As for what it means it's impossible to know and perhaps your dad doesn't want to know, or perhaps he wants to protect you.  Sibling dynamics are another ball game, sounds similar to my relationship with my siblings. 

Stay strong

• ang1e so sorry to read about your dad’s situation. He has been through the mill to say the least. What is his current PSA?
    It’s difficult to predict how things will go, everyone is different.

Sorry about your sibling situation, I empathise but it’s very difficult to deal with and we become conditioned I think. I speak from similar experience.

Ido4

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Thanks .

I decided to get brave and message my sister in the hope she would reply. I think writing my initial post here gave me some confidence.  She replied.  She does have more information than I but, whilst I don't understand why she didn't tell me this before, I am not going to ponder on it.  Too many examples in the past and I'll just have to put it down to our being very different people.

I now know the degradation is permanent, he is currently receiving treatment for his ankles from twice weekly district nurses, and has been put in touch with a cancer service who can offer physio, occupational therapy and physical/emotional support if needed.  Dad spoke with my sister this morning and nurses have visited today.

Whilst I still don't know where he is on his journey I now have a better idea and I also know that he is being well supported, which is comforting.

Thanks again for your reply.

Ang1e

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ido4

Thanks Ido4.

I don't know his current PSA.  He's not one for the detail.  He just goes with his Professor's advice and says he trusts him.  This is why I have to be careful when speaking with dad that I don't push him too hard.  This is difficult and frustrating but I have to respect this is his way.

I decided to get brave and message my sister in the hope she would reply. I think writing my initial post here gave me some confidence.  She replied.  She does have more information than I but, whilst I don't understand why she didn't tell me this before, I am not going to ponder on it.  Too many examples in the past and I'll just have to put it down to our being very different people.

I now know the degradation is permanent, he is currently receiving treatment for his ankles from twice weekly district nurses, and has been put in touch with a cancer service who can offer physio, occupational therapy and physical/emotional support if needed.  Dad spoke with my sister this morning and nurses have visited today.

Whilst I still don't know where he is on his journey I now have a better idea and I also know that he is being well supported, which is comforting.

Thanks again for your Reply Ido4.

Ang1e