Bicalutamide length of treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 109 subscribers

After initial diagnosis at PSA 20 I took Bicalutamide for 30 days before taking Stap 3 injection once only. Sometimes I see that Bicalutamide was given for only 5-7 days before injection and sometimes at the same time.  After 14  months I may have to take Bicalutamide again depending on PSA level in my next blood test due soon. What is the criteria for length of time you have to take Bicalutamide ?. Diagnosis was when I told my GP I was urinating at a frequency of just over one hour with a bit of a respite at night but not  much and got the exploratory digit. I thought that more frequent urination  was just old age. Realised urination was gradually becoming a problem over at least a couple of years. I was 78 when diagnosed.

• The day I had my diagnosis I was started on Bicalutamide that I took for 2 weeks before the first Prostap injection and then continued with it for 2 weeks after and have not taken it since but the injections have continued. So it strikes me that there are several different ways of treatment dependant on the individual Doctor and patient. I had no problems with urination but have been up most nights a couple of times since Radiotherapy but that is slowly improving. I believe that with a hormone injection at first it can cause a PSA flare up  and the Bicalutamide stops that.

Good luck with your next PSA test.

Regards  Reg

• I think Bicalutamide can be added in or taken on its own as HT at any time.  I know other hormone Treatments can continue for many years - someone at my old surgery had been on HT for 13 years.  I do not know if this is true of Bicalutamide.  Hopefully someone with more experience of this can come along and clarify this.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

The chap at the hospital superintending my case is making a telephone appointment  to me at  the middle of June and I will discuss Bicalutamide dosage with him. May depend on the blood report and previous history. Will report  back  what he  says.  Incidentally to prevent blood clots and a stroke I am also taking a blood thinner which doesn't actually thin the blood but works as it stops blood clotting. Nothing to do with Prostate problem as am prone to Atrial Fibrillation. Blood not clotting does not prevent taking a blood sample as normal nor taking my finger prick test for Diabetes sugar. level.

• Hi

I was on Bicalutamide ( Bic) for a few days to prevent tumour flare before I started the Prostap injections. 

After RT I was given the option of staying on the injection or switching to the Bic. Looking at the side effects there seems to be very little difference so I am staying on the inj.

I have been told that if things go to plan I will be on the inj until Feb 2022.

I think it would be the same if I was on Bic.

Trying to get fit again!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Scampidoodle

Hi I was given bic for a month and after a week I had my first injection of Zoladex, that was in February and since then I've had the second injection. I don't know how they work out how long you have to take it for. I'm one of those who just does as he's told, and then regrets not having asked more questions. 

Keep smiling and stay safe. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Think it all depends on your PSA and Testosterone reading when you have a blood test.  Have about five underlying causes for not getting C-19  virus which has rather  distracted my thoughts about Prostate lately. With a 17-1 chance this year of my aortic aneurysm bursting which will kill me  its a question of which will get me first. Have been having tingling in both legs since last August and legs getting a bit of a problem.  Have mentioned it but nobody seems interested although I see that muscle wastage is a side effect of Hormone Therapy. Perhaps its because I am 79. Am beginning to look at adverts for stair lifts. A creaking door lasts longest !

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Old timer I'm sorry to hear about your other distractions, I can sympathies with you as I have underlying problems but nothing like yours. I know how you feel about nobody listening to you, I have the same feeling when I phone my GP. I put the phone down and feel like I've just been fobbed off.   I'm hoping that when I actually start my radio therapy there's not too much muscle wastage as I don't have much to spare, being as skinny as I am. All the best to you keep smiling and stay safe. 

• Hi David

I presume that you are on a testosterone blocking drug. If my experience is anything to go by ( I'm on Prostap) then by the time you have finished RT you will have lost muscle strength but gained a belly you never knew you had.

The catch22 is that in order to get rid of the belly and build up your muscles you need to exercise-  but you will be very tired and won t want to - especially for a few weeks after the injection.

Tricky isn t it?

Trying to get fit again!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Scampidoodle

Hi I don't know if I'm looking forward to the getting a belly as I've not long lost quite a bit of weight due to having an overacting thyroid a few years ago and I've got rid of all my old clothes. Maybe I will have to ask for them back. I do try to keep fit with exercise and walking and I sometimes do feel a bit weary but always try to keep going. Can only keep smiling and staying safe, which will not be any easier come Monday. 

• Excercise as much as you can.  weights will help - even if you are only lifting tins of beans - if you can get them :) bottles of water whatever.  Age also has a bearing of course at at 77 I can't get muscle back but still doing as much as I can.

Allt he best,