PSA VERY HIGH AFTER ROBOTIC PROSTECTOMY

• 7 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hello  I had a robotic prostectomy in February the surgeon said it was complicated and lasted longer than expected.He told me that they almost reverted to open surgery .Prior to the operation I had an MRI scan and bone scan both clear to the extent that when I asked the surgeon if he would take lymph glands he said no not nesacary as no MRI evidence if spread. Prior to my operation he had over run on the first operation of the mirning due to complications and looked really tired before operating on me .He is the top robotic surgeon in our hospital with good outcomes.My PSA prior to the operation was 24 it had risen by one point a month over 6 months .After the operation it has persisted and is registering 17 .With clear scans before the op and no indication  to think it had spread I'm assuming due to the difficulty he encountered not all the prostate was cleanly removed .I will be given a Pet scan very soon to see if this is the case just wondered if any one else has a similar experience 

•   so sorry to hear this. I was in similar situation. The PET scan will show hopefully where the cancer is. How long after surgery was your followup. 

I have undergone chemotherapy, if localised spread then radiotherapy can be offered. Localised can still be cured. 

Good luch for the scan and I hope you don't have to wait too long

• Hi Thanks for replying my followup was today over the phone due to virus .Its very worrying as nothing prior to the operation indicated any spread at all

I am  assuming the PET scan will sort out where it's coming from consultant said hormone therapy and radiation possible .Said I should hear next week which is nog too long to wait. 

• Hi Scorplo6, sorry to read your operation seems to have been a difficult one and that your PSA remains high. Have you had your post op histology yet? This is where pathologists slice up your prostate and check the cancer there plus whether you have negative margins or not. It often leads to the cancer being restaged i.e updated Gleason score and updated T stage.

With a post op PSA of 17 the PET scan should show where any remaining cancer is.

This should then inform what your next treatment options are. 
    Best wishes,

Ido4

• Hello Thanks for replying .Our urology department never offers it or  sends any details of the pathology .I dont ask I probably should .The consultant has said that the pet scan should show where the cancer has gone to thinks it might be lymph node but until we have the scan it's difficult to understand why the PSA would be so high after clear MRI and bone scan prior to prostectomy .He said thry would consider radio therapy and hormone treatment .My father died of prostate cancer he was part of the trial for the new hormone treatments and lived to 88 he had prostate cancer for 15 years .I have a feeling that not all the prostae was removed as cleanly as it could have been due to the surgeon having great difficulty in removing it almost went to open surgery and the operation lasted over four hours  ..I have been reading your posts and they are very helpful 

• Hi again Did you have a bone scan prior to prostectomy or was the pet scan carried out once they knew you had persistant psa ? My bone scan prior to.pristectomy was clear and MRI scan for spread was clear too hence very confused about persistant PSA can only think bits have been left behind .

• I had nothing showing prior to surgery. Yet post surgery I had  psma pet scan which showed occurrences in ribs

• Thanks just goes to show that they should be doing the more advanced scans sooner prior to initial treatment .