Advanced care planning

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 108 subscribers

My Husband has advanced Prostate cancer and is currently undergoing Chemotherapy.  I believe a non curative pathway means terminal? My fear, having both my parents neither going through their death in a dignified manner, that my Husband will go through the same thing.  I am at my wits end with worry although I am sure he has a few years left I wonder at what point someone will do a Care Plan?  He has completed a form regarding wellbeing, benefits etc but this was before he started his Chemotherapy and appears to have been forgotten.  I understand we are in a crisis at the moment but I feel like he has been forgotten.

Anyone going through this at the moment?

• not knowing much about your husband I can only comment on my personal perspective.

I had surgery last year. Post surgery I still had elevated psa, this indicated that the cancer had spread, in my case shown by pet scan to be in my ribs.  I've had one course docetaxel which has been recommended by the stampede trial. I am currently having hormone injections every three month's which hopes to hold the cancer at bay. When hormone therapy starts to fail there are other options.  The aim being now is to manage rather than cure. Whilst not curable it is manageable and therefore I do not consider myself terminal.

Terminal I would consider when all treatment options have been exhausted. We are hoping that before current treatment options have been followed that something new will come up.  I'm 51 and my consultant was hoping to keep going for a considerable number of years. 10's of years. How realistic I don't know but if your husband is in a similar situation there is a long road ahead, with hopefully many a happy occasion 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

YoungMan thank you for your response.  My Husband is in the same position as you with the cancer now in his spine, pelvis and lymph nodes post Radical Prostectomy 4 years ago.  The Chemotherapy is for management purposes and I am ever hopeful that something will come along to give us many more years together.

• Is this his second course of chemo, and is the hormone therapy still controlling the the spread?

Let's hope for future research success that can benefit all men with this condition 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

This is his first course of Chemotherapy (Docetaxel).  He started the hormone therapy just before Chemo because he wanted to avoid that for as long as possible but it hasn’t reduced his PSA or Testosterone.  We will just have to wait and see what plan B is if this doesn’t help.