Prostate cancer shielding

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi

My husband 58 told to shield for 12 weeks. Surgery not advised as it tumour touching the front is prostate and at Gleason 9 very aggressive. He is now on 6 monthly Decapeptyl injections and hopefully radiotherapy in summer is Coronavirus levels drop. 
Husband has hot and cold flushes 24 hours a day, is not sleeping and I think he feels down and worried. No enthusiasm for anything. I feel he is existing not living. Any advice?

i try to tell him to be positive but it is very hard at present with this pandemic. He is petrified of getting it while shielding as he feels it would kill him.

Thank you

• Sorry to hear your husband is suffering so badly with hot flushes.

The side effects vary for different people. It may be worth asking to change to 3 monthly injections or a different hormone therapy drug like PROSTAP to see if this helps. A discussion with his oncologist would be sensible. 
    All the best,

Ido4

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ido4

Thank you. The oncologist wanted the 6 monthly injection during the virus period so that we could avoid going to gp during this time. Hopefully during the summer he can have radiotherapy 

• I understand how your hubby feels. I'm also on Decapeptyl this weather and the corona virus truly are not good. Feeling you have a temperature many times a day and the link to the virus can be very waring especially since the cancer diagnosis is relatively recent. I'm a bit further along the journey. One year post surgery and 2 post chemo.

It can be difficult to be positive. Hormone therapy can affect moods especially with all the other side effects. I have low days, more than one, before being able to be more positive, but i know the feelings will pass i will feel better. I regularly take my temperature concerned it's high knowing it's okay really. I appreciate how difficult it is for partners seeing the change to a loved one it's hard to explain and harder to understand especially when feelings aren't always logical.

Its hard enough coping with the diagnosis but with the virus makes things even more difficult.

Hopefully we will soon move on from the virus and concerns over catching it and it affecting treatment. That is all we can hope, 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Thank you. I agree things are so hard at present. I’ve stopped constant watching of news as it’s all bad. I think it’s just scary not knowing what treatment will be or when is frightening. At least the better weather let’s me relax in the garden. 

I hope you continue to stay strong and enjoy life. The one good thing about the virus is that you suddenly realise what is important in life.

• . Totally agree, I’m 51 but lack energy unsure if chem (2 months) or hormone.

At least with virus there’s a valid reason to stay at home instead of feeling obligated to go out on the bank holiday 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Stay safe and motivate yourself so that you can win this battle. 

• Hello Helen24.

With regard to my own personal experience the hormone implants, zoladex for me, are the thing that causes tiredness. I get a burst of energy and a fancy for doing something but there is no stamina to carry it through. I have been on it for close to 3 years and no change in my energy levels. Keeping me alive though so worth the nuisance.

I was prescribed "Provera" by the doc on the recommendation of my oncologist and the hot flushes disappeared almost overnight. I used to have to go out with two towels but now they are just a bad memory!.

Eventually your husband will stop worrying every minute and get back to some semblance of normality. I had pretty well every one of the feelings that he is going through but made it through to the daylight at the end of the tunnel. Of course this lockdown is magnifying his bad feelings as it is doing to everyone I imagine.

You were right to get on this forum, better than most doctors surgeries that's for sure.

Best wishes to both of you.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Norberry

Thank you for this info. It’s nice to be surrounded by people who have experience living with cancer. Stay safe and look after yourself during the current Coronavirus period.