Serum Ferritin

• 2 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi, has anyone ever had a reported a very high serum ferritin in a blood test, mine as 607 in January and over 1000 last week, when normal is a maximum of 350.

There are many reasons why high ferritin may occur but one reason jumped off the page at me as follows, this clearly worried me, especially as by back pain symptoms have increase over the same period.

Malignancies

Local cancers do not raise serum ferritin levels (<500 μg/L), but metastatic cancer can cause them to rise, often to more than 1000 μg/L, probably because of factors associated with it (inflammation, cytolysis, etc.) 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community. 

I see that you joined several years ago but that this is the first time that you've posted to the group.

Unfortunately I can't answer your question but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. This could be because it's slipped down the page so my replying to you will bump it back to the top of the page again.

When you have a minute it would be useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you, however I think I know now I was barking up the wrong tree as all the latest tests are directed at my LIver.

Stay well