PSA still detectable after radical prostatectomy

• 4 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hello,

I had a radical prostatectomy (robotic) 3 months ago, and some cancer cells were found in a lymph node. I have recovered well from the surgery itself, after a rough couple of weeks at first. I had been feeling quite well recently, walking everyday (at least 6,000 steps sometimes more) and back at work part-time, with only very minor stress incontinence. 

However in the last couple of weeks I have had my PSA level tested, and unfortunately it is still detectable which means there is some cancer left somewhere. I am currently waiting to see the oncologist to find out what further treatment I may need, which may be a combination of hormone therapy and radiotherapy.

I am a bit upset right now as the PSA result feels like a bit of a setback. I am trying to stay positive, but that's not always easy.

(AngusPrune is not my real name. Some of you may be old enough to know where the pseudonym comes from.)

• Sorry to hear that you still have some cancer cells left after the operation.  This can be a long journey for some and PSA tests will continue to worry us.  Unfortunately I have a young friend of 60 ( I worked with his Father funnily enough and then he too later joined the same company) who has had the same with rising PSA over the year since his prostatectomy.  He had radiotherapy which he has just finished and will be going back to his work as a nurse in a week's time after taking time off with his family for a holiday.  I do hope this has worked for him and that this form of treatment works for you too. 

Loved that programme and still love Bill who sang the song - am I right?

• Sorry your PSA is still detectable, it’s very disappointing to say the least.

My PSA rose rapidly around a year after prostatectomy.

I was scanned before starting hormone therapy followed by salvage radiotherapy.

I would think the oncologist will suggest hormone therapy followed by radiotherapy.

He may want to conduct further scans first.

What is your current PSA level?

Ido4

• Hi everyone,

I saw the oncologist this week and she has started me on 28 days of Bicalutamide, followed by injections, and later this year will be followed by a course of radiotherapy.

Angus

• Hi angus, i also had recurrent psa. Finished chemo in Jan as a pet psma showed metastasis in the ribs. Assume you've had scans. 

My latest psa is undetectable on continuous hormone therapy 

Good luck