am I too old at 76 to have a radical surgery to remove my prostate?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 108 subscribers

I have been on active surveillance for 8 years after my psa reading of 5.4, but recently this increased to 13.

After a biopsy showed a gleason score of 7 and 8 and T2M0 I have been advised to consider either surgery to remove the prostate or undergo hormone and radiotherapy.

I am otherwise active and healthy for my age although I do take daily medication to control my blood platelets and haematocrit readings which are well within tolerances.

Any advice before I see the surgeon and oncologist next week would be appreciated.

• So long as you are fit and active there seems to be no reason why you should not have the operation if the surgeon is agreeable.  A neighbour of mine had robotic prostate removal at age 76.  I on the other hand because they could not rule out that the cancer had spread as it was pressing on the back of the capsule had HT and RT 3 years ago for Gleason 7 (3+4) T2M0 but T3 could not be ruled out because of the tumour pressing on the capsule it could not be certain that cancer had not spread.  At the moment PSA still undetectable so it seems to be the right decision for me.  I also had bladder and bowel problems that would have probably been made worse by removal.  You should consult with both a radiotherapy oncologist  and surgeon as you will find that both will "sell" you their solution so if you consult with both you will be able to make a list of pros and cons for both and work out which will be easiest for you to deal with.  For me the RT was far easier to deal with than the operation as I had no problems from the RT and only some fatigue from the HT and hot flushes from the 9 months of HT which went away slowly after the HT was discontinued, and one night of almost constant urination half way through RT.  this is to be expected and some men in the radiotherapy waiting room had different experiences - some no problems at all and some more as all different.  Some also had bowel problems, though I had none.    To be honest actually enjoyed the time on RT as moved to "the big city" went to the theatre and cinema and visited friends we hadn't seen for years.   Continued to go to the gym at least 3 or 4 times a week all the way through treatment as loss of muscle when you do nothing cannot be recouped as you age as it can when you are young.  I am sure this also helped alleviate the fatigue from the HT.

• . I had prostratectomy last year, 7 weeks recovery then was not too bad. Incontinance was not too much of an issue and erectile function was recovering prior to starting chemo. If contained then surgery removes and is good option. If any left n prostrate bed then salvage radiotherapy can resolve. Surgery after radiotherapy is not always an option as damage cause by radiotherapy makes surgery difficult.

I do not see age an issue as long as consultant agrees. I’m a bit younger at 50.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

Many thanks. Still to see surgeon and oncologist but all patient info. Is great help.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

Many thanks. Still  to see surgeon and oncologist but your comments are a great help.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Go for it operation is good ,but incontinence and ed problems you can live with .good luck for your journey 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks for your good wishes.