Recovery after chemotherapy - update

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 108 subscribers

Further to my post of 3 September 2019, my PSA following the final dose of Docetaxel in July was 41.6. I asked the oncologist if this was a good result to which he replied "everyone is different" (I guess that meant no). I was weaned off Prednisolone which I'd been taking for the last couple of years, with reducing doses over the following three months. I've had no further treatment since then, excpt three monthly injections of Triptorelin, which will continue. My PSA rose steadily by about 10 points a month since the end of chemo, however when last tested on 20 January 2020 it was at 72. suggesting it was slowing down.

Six months after the final chemo I was aware of becoming increasing weak fatigued lacking appetite. I raised this with the oncologist recently who suggested I should go back on steroids. I'm now on 30 gm of Prednisolone a day, and feeling fitter than I have felt for nearly two years. So it would seem that the unpleasantness of the chemotherapy was worth it.

We've got our golden wedding coming up in April - at one time I wondered if we'd make it. It's good to be able to report that we're starting to plan a family celebration.