prostatectomy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 107 subscribers

Hi I am sat here now with my dad Don, who has an appointment tomorrow for his pre-op. we have been reading through many messages, and are glad we have found this for some support ! The procedure he is due to have is called ' DA VINCI ROBOTIC ASSISTED LAPAROSCOPIC RADICAL PROSTATECTOMY' has anyone had this procedure? and could give us some more knowledge and advice? he haas a PSA of 13.4 , Gleason of 9 

Thank you 

Don & Kayleigh 

• Hello,

I have not had this procedure myself but have read of many who have.  It seems to me the most important thing your Dad can do are his kegel excercises before the operation and again after when it is safe to do so.  I think a general rule of thumb is after the catheter is removed but make sure to ask.  As with every operation he may find that he doesn't feel like eating and moving around is painful so the best thing to do is a little and often with both.  Better to have 5 small meals a day than 3 large meals.  Same with moving if he can only walk twice round the room every now and again then it is better than doing nothing.  Constipation can be a problem but he should be given medication to help with this.  So, Take it easy and moderation in all things.  Don't try and skimp on the painkillers take painkillers regularly - every 4 or 6 hours as prescribed even if the pain is not bad at the time it is better to stay ahead of any pain.

Hope the operation is successful and he has as easy a time as possible with recovery.  Just do as the Docs tell him and if there are any problems get in touch with the hospital even if you think they may find your worries or problems small and insignificant - they may be but they may not be.

Keep in touch so that we know how you are getting on.

All the best

Des

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

Hi, I had laparoscopic surgery, but without the robot.  The robot just enables the surgeon to carry out the surgery more precisely and carefully.  Otherwise, the procedure is the same.

I can only tell you about my experience, as I'm sure it varies between individuals. 

The surgery takes about 4 hours.  The surgeon makes several small holes for the instruments and a slightly larger one through which the gland is removed.  I didn't have any stitches in any of the wounds On waking your dad will have a "3 way catheter in", an IV drip and a "suction drain" going into his abdomen.

The catheter is attached to 2 tubes, one letting "irrigation"  fluid in and the other letting it out into a bag.  There may be some blood in the fluid coming out, but once this has settled, the  irrigation will be stopped and the inlet on the catheter plugged.

Once your dad has woken up properly he can have drinks and then if OK the IV drip will be removed.  From this point he should be encouraged to drink a lot of fluids - 3 litres a day.  He can eat normally.

The suction drain is there to remove any collection of blood or fluid in the abdominal cavity.  Once this has settled, possibly the morning of the day after the operation, the drain will be removed.

He can get up and walk about as soon as he feels like it and as soon as the IV and irrigation are removed, probably the same days as the operation.  He mustn't however forget to take his urine bag with him!  He won't get very far before being brought to a painful stop!

I had very little pain from the wounds, drain or catheter.  I did however have an awful sleep disturbing pain from the gas that's pumped into the abdomen during the operation.  If this happens, walking about will help dissipate it.  I found painkillers don't touch it at all.  After day 2 I had no painkillers at all.

All being well your dad will be allowed home on day 2 following the surgery or even day 1.

The catheter is to stay in for ten days to 2 weeks all being well.  Hopefully, they will tell him how to look after it i.e. how to make sure it doesn't get blocked and how to keep it clean.  He should be given leg bags for during the day and night bags.  He will need something to hang the night bad on the side of the bed.

When home, he can have showers.

He should avoid constipation be eating high fibre food, fruit and lots of fluids.. Walking is encouraged to relieve constipation and to reduce the risk.of a Deep Vein Thrombosis.  He can also regularly take "Fybogel" or "Lactulise" to help prevent constipation.  They will probably not provide these nor give a prescription, they might not even mention them.  They are both "over the counter" remedies.  It is almost impossible now to get NHS prescriptions for OTC remedies.

At all costs he should avoid straining to "go", this can cause "bypassing". where urine, instead of going through thevtibe, goes round it.  This can hurt, irritate the urethra and possibly cause an infection.

Keeping the tube clean and drinking lots of fluids helps prevent infection.  I had a very nasty infection and it first. delayed the remova of the catheter and I am still suffering the consequences of the infection nearly 8 years later!

He should keep active but nothing strenuous for 6 weeks.  

Hopefully he has been doing the Kegel exercises and should start them again when the catheter is removed.

If he is concerned about Erectile Dysfunction (ED), hopefully firstly, he is having  "nerve sparing" surgery.  If not, his risk.of ED is higher.  It might be the last thing on his mind st the time, but if concerned about ED, it is recommended he also begin Erectile Rehabilitation as soon as the catheter is out.  He can get  PDE5 inhibitor medication that.helps this from his GP.