Prostate Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi my name is John and have recently been diagnosed with advanced Prostate Cancer. I would like to interact with others and also any groups that are within 20 miles of Witney. I have had radiotherapy, homotherapy .

Thank you John in Witney

• Hi John.

I'm sorry that you have to come to this forum but welcome anyway. We will help you as much as we can.

I'm in Scotland but a quick look at the Maggie's Centres website shows that there is a centre in Oxford only 13 miles or so from Witney. Every Maggie's centre will have a Prostate Support Group where you can go and talk to other men (and their wives) who also have PC. It's often a great help to be able to talk to others in the same position.

You say that you have only recently been diagnosed but have already had radiotherapy and homotherapy (I assume the latter is hormone treatment but I may be wrong). There are many of us here who have been down the same path and may be able to help.

Good luck with your treatment and keep in touch here.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Hi John

Welcome to the forum, pity you have to be here but if you could tell us when you where diagnosed and what your PSA, etc is.

Have you had chemotherapy? I too am a advanced PC sufferer, have been for over three years now, on our case or at least mine, I am monitored every three months have blood checks, my PSA is 1.1 at the moment it went as low as 0.07, I eat responsibly hardly any red meat mostly chicken and fish salads stir fries, I did like a beer, but have cut that right back, 

You will find plenty of people to talk to many with your symptoms, so don’t be afraid or shy to tell us it all helps.

Take care

Joe

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to joeven

Hi Joe, my sentiments exactly. I was diagnosed late July with a PSA of 6. I have had hormone therapy which knocked me down to around 1.5. I am on Degarelix with an initial double dose then every 4 weeks.It makes me menopausal as I get hot flushes and slight nausea but it's doing what it supposed to do,My diet is similar to yours.

I've also had a one off blast of radiotherapy to help my bone pain and was violently sick after a short period.

They are going to suggest chemotherapy as well on a few weeks. On top of all this I had my gallbladder a week ago.

I haven't been given or have I asked what the prognosis is. My daughter gets married just before Christmas so anything after that is a bonus.

Regards John

• Hi John,

Sorry you have had to join this club but welcome all the same.  I used to live in Abingdon  but moved away several years ago now - well its actually decades now!  Wish I still lived there.  We still visit someone who lives the other side of Chipping Norton and visit Witney when we are there as we often meet up with people from The Abingdon Wantage area and Witney seems to be mid way and a nice place to visit.  There is I am pretty sure  Maggie's Centre in Oxford and it is an ideal place to start.  I go to our Maggie's Centre here in West Wales and we have a weekly club called "The Walnut Club" for prostate cancer suferers and my wife and I thoroughly enjoy going.  There are lots of different classes going on as well as benefits advice.  Definitely worth going and seeing what is available in Oxford.  If I remember rightly it is in the grounds of the Churchill Hospital.

All the best to you.

Des

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Seamus47

Thank you

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to joeven

I have had a one off intensive blast of radiotherapy, currently on hormone therapy. I am seeing my oncologist next week with a view for chemotherapy. 

Thank you