After radiotherapy from prostate cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Hi everyone my dad was diagnosed t3a prostate cancer in November started his treatment in Feb Mon-Friday for 4 weeks finishing in March he flew through it all with no problems until around 2 weeks after he felt unwell we took him to the hospital while he was there he collapsed and lost around 3 pints of blood he got a blood transfusion he hasn't been well from he finished his treatment they have said he's all damaged inside its called radio protistis he's ulserated and damaged lost weight he's in constant pain has this happened to anyone else it's awful watching him suffer and nothing we can do he's on longtec & shortec pain relief he can't sit for long he gets sore. My dad was as fit as a fiddle up until he started treatment always out walking doing the garden and now he spends most his time in bed. Really hope someone knows what to do he's been in hospital 4 times because of the pain.

Sorry for the long story lol 

• Hi Kaz2222, so sorry to read about your Dad’s situation. Are the doctors proposing how they will deal with this? I had a sigmoidoscopy a few months after finishing radiotherapy and it showed I had radiation proctitis but no ulceration. I have periodic bleeding but not at that level.

Have they carried out a colonoscopy and scanned him?

Ido4

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ido4

Hi ido4 thanks for your reply there isn't anything they can do they have suggested a stoma bag but don't think dad's fit enough for the operation he's down to 9st so apart from that it's meds morphine tablets longtec shortec pregabalin for the pain & laxives so he doesn't get constipated. They have done mri scans ct scans no cancer which is great news. Hope your doing well now have you recovered. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ido4

Hi ido4 thanks for your reply there isn't anything they can do they have suggested a stoma bag but don't think dad's fit enough for the operation he's down to 9st so apart from that it's meds morphine tablets longtec shortec pregabalin for the pain & laxives so he doesn't get constipated. They have done mri scans ct scans no cancer which is great news. Hope your doing well now have you recovered. 

• Hi Kaz222, sorry to see that he isn’t fit enough for a stoma bag. The surgery to remove ulcerated bowel is a big operation so I can understand why they won’t do it.

I hope the medication keeps him as comfortable as possible.

Best wishes,

Ido4