Statins and low PSA

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Hi

I have the classic symptoms of prostate problems...peeing issues...extreme fatigue all the time and general bone pain especially in my legs. I saw the Dr yesterday and he examined me and said my prostate was enlarged and hard on one side. I had a blood test and my psa level has come back as 1.2%. I am on statins and have read that they interfere with psa levels. Dr has referred me to the hospital and says I will be seen within two weeks. Obviously the physical abnormality that the Dr felt is worrying...but the low psa levels don't make sense, do they? Can it be that my statin is giving a false level reading? Confused and worried. Any thoughts from anyone are very welcome.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I forgot to mention I have lost nearly 2 stone over the past month...I have not been dieting or excercising and my eating habits have not changed. 

• Hi Alex ,sorry to hear about your situation.

I have read that statins can give a false psa reading but I am not sure by how much, your Psa is very low.

You have some symptoms which do look s bit suspect, especially the sudden weight loss but of course there could always be another explanation.

The only way to be sure is to have a MRI to see if anything shows up followed by a biopsy depending on MRI results.

It's impossible to speculate at this stage and I know it's the waiting which does your head in but if it is PC (and of course it may not be) hopefully it has been caught early and therefore easily treatable.

Best wishes

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Thanks for the reply Steve. Do you think that will be the way forward at the hospital...mri and biopsy? 

The reasons I went went to the Dr's was the immense fatigue (like I've never experienced) peeing issues and weight loss and now what I can only explain as 'bone' ache! I dont know if the blood test reviewing GP didnt realise I am on statins.

Have you experience of PC?

Alexander

• Alex

MRI is the way to go, that will potentially show any Suspect areas in and around the prostate 

Normal psa should be around 2-4, if u had PC then normally it would be higher but Statins could be masking it.

I was diagnosed with PC  in 2013 and had treatment in 2017, so far things are ok.

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Alex, I am in the U.S. I cant really speak to your issue if you haven't been biopsied and diagnosed. Just wanted to let you know that in my situation my PSA was barely over 4 when I got biopsy. I was diagnosed with Gleason scores of 4+5 and 5+5 Had CT and Bone scan and was diagnosed with Stage 4 prostate cancer with bone mets on ribs, spine and pelvis. I was told that it was pretty rare to be stage 4 with PSA that low. I have taken simvastatin for several years don't know if that is the reason or not. Wish you the best of luck. Just don't take anything for granted would be my advice.

\