The battle continues

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 110 subscribers

It’s early November 2018, and I’m in front of my urologist. I’m told about my cancer, and the battle plan to eradicate it, hopefully once and for all, and my first battle starts today

Thirty minutes later, I’m fully equipped. Parachute attached to the static line, and I’m stood at the open door. The green light goes on and the Jump master yells Jump! I launch myself into the first stage of battle, to lay siege to my cancer. The weapon of choice is Hormone therapy.

February 2019, and I’m recalled from the ongoing siege to prep for the second stage of battle.

April 2019, I’m fully equipped again. Parachute attached to the static line, and I’m stood at the open door. The green light goes on and the Jump master yells Jump! I launch myself into the second stage of battle. The weapon of choice this time is Radiotherapy.

Late May 2019. Radiotherapy is complete. I’m looking forward to some rest, and returning to normal duties. I find myself in front of my oncologist, who congratulates me on completion of my radiotherapy, and informs me I’m not going back to my normal duties, but is sending me back into battle, after a period of rest.

I’ve received my orders, so in late June 2019, once more I’ll find myself kitted out. Parachute attached to the static line, and I’ll be stood at the open door. The green light will go on and the Jump master will yell Jump! I’ll launch myself into the third stage of battle. The weapon of choice this time is Chemotherapy.

• Keep flying and you'll soon win the war!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Hi Flightsim

I like your story and have revisited your profile, you're obviously high as a kite at the moment. On a more serious note I wonder why they are starting chemo so soon after RT finished?

You might think possibly give a breather,  then another MRI and psa before any more treatment. Possibly there is a reason, are u aware of any?  

Steve

• Good luck with the chemotherapy Flightism, keep fighting!

What is your PSA after radiotherapy alongside HT?

Ido4

• All the very best Flightsim.  As a parachute Jumping Instructor in the Royal Air Force I love the way you have described this.  Maybe this time forget the static line and try free fall!  Hope all this goes well for you.

Des

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

Hi Guys,

Just catching up having been away enjoying myself in North Wales on the narrow gauge trains.

@Seamus. Many thanks for your support

@Steve. On the day I completed Radiotherapy, I met my oncologist purely by chance. He reviewed my PSA numbers which showed a steady increase, and recommended that I start Chemotherapy. It was decided to start sooner than later as I'm already on an extended period of leave, so it would be easier to continue treatment, rather that return to work, then return to treatment.

@Ido4. Here's a quick list of my PSA reults.

Nov 2018 - 143. Started hormone therapy

New Years eve 2018 - 5.5

February 2019 - 7.5

April 2019 - 8.5 Start of radiotherapy

Late May 2019 - 2.0 Completion of radio therapy

@ Des. Many thanks for your support. I'm a cancer rookie at the moment, so I think I'll wait till I get my wings before trying free-falling. Incidentally I served with the Royal Air force as an Electronic Technician Synthetic Trainers . Flight simulators, to you and me, hence the nick name.

Catheter comes out tomorrow. Be glad to see it gone.

• Am sure you will be glad to get rid of the catheter.  Good Luck with the rest of your treatment.

Take good care of yourself.

Des

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I just started June 16 2020 and have 5 more infusions every 3 weeks. I got thru the first infusion and really just noticed nauseous and dizziness and tired. I have been in Lupron-2012, casodex, enzalutamide, Xgeva and originally radiation in 2010. PSA was 2.8 with a Gleason 3/4= 7. Long road and still waiting for cure. I still have albiterone left after chemo. 

Take life day by day and be grateful for the little things.  Don’t get caught up in what you can’t control.  Accept it and make the best of it.  When you stop worrying about what you can’t control, you have more time to change the things you can control.  And that changes everything in the long run.