Someone who has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Hi All,

I am a newbie here and I'm on this forum on behalf of someone who is very dear to me.

Her Dad has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He is 70 years old, not overweight and fit for his age. His PSA is between 62 and 63.

The good news is that the cancer is not aggressive and it hasn't spread to his bones. He will be undergoing some further tests. After that a multidisciplinary team meeting will take place and treatment recommendations will be made.

He is based in Bromley. Does anyone know if the hospitals there have a good reputation for prostate cancer treatment? I've heard good things about St Bart's. Has anyone been treated there?

I just want give some reassurance. It would be nice to hear from anyone who has gone or currently going through this. 

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Vapersupreme

• Hi VaperSupreme, welcome to the community.

I don’t know anything about the hospitals you mention but can you maybe find out more about his diagnosis as it will help us answer your questions.

Has he had a biopsy and what were the Gleason scores from it?

Has he had an MRI to check where the cancer is e.g.is it well confined within the prostate or near the edge?

I presume he’s had a bone scan which shows no bone involvement from what you say.

The multi disciplinary team will look at all the test results etc. and come up with recommendations for treatment which could range from surgery, external beam radiation with hormone therapy, brachytherapy with hormone therapy, brachytherapy followed by external beam radiotherapy alongside hormone therapy.

If you click on my profile you’ll see I had surgery in 2015, followed by hormone therapy from December 2016 to April 2019 and external beam radiotherapy in March/April 2017.

There is more information on  here too https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/prostate-cancer

Best wishes.

Ido4

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ido4

Dear Ido4,

Thank you for the reply. With regard to the questions, I will talk to my friend and get the answers to you as soon as possible

Once again, thank you for your reply.

Vapersupreme.

• Hi VS

A couple of good hospitals in London for PC is Guy's nrLondon Bridge and also UCL.

Don't know much about Bart's but it's got plenty of history

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Dear Steve,

Thanks for the information.

VS

• Hi

Whatever or were ever his treatment will take place they will have his well fair as a priority and his treatment will be first class, so give your friend a all the help he needs, he may have cancer but he's still a friend.

take care

joe

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to joeven

To anyone looking for a 'good' hospital for their treatment, you can look at the Care Quality Commission's ratings to judge whether the hospital is right for you. 

For example, the Royal Marsden London is rated "Outstanding" but my hospital, Pinderfields, is rated "In Need of Improvement".  Simply search for the hospital using the boxes half way down the page.

https://www.cqc.org.uk/what-we-do/services-we-regulate/find-hospital

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you for the link. This will be useful.