Biopsy & PET scan Result

• 6 replies
  • 134 subscribers

Greetings to all !

The Gleason Score has come out to be 5+5 for right lobe and 5+4 for left lobe and Grade Group : 5 

It was also noted that:

Right lobe: Perineural invasion is present and No presence of lymphovascular, no extra prostatic extension, no prostatic intraepithellal neoplasia and no intraductal carcinoma components

Left lobe: No perineural invasion is present and No presence of lymphovascular, no extra prostatic extension, no prostatic intraepithellal neoplasia and no intraductal carcinoma components

The PET scan showed bone metastasis in spine, collar bones and slight pelvic area. 

Out of al the treatment options which should be the right treatment to be admistered. My father is 70 yrs old and healthy condition. Can you please share your experience 

Thank you!

• Hi  MIKL, are a very warm welcome to the forum, but so sorry you have to be here, and that your dad has prostate cancer, Hormone therapy is usually the first treatment, a course of pills quickly followed by injections which can be 1, 3 or 6 monthly, this is to stop the cancer in its tracks and hopefully knock it back a little. Surgery to the prostate is unlikely due to metasteses, so options are likely to be radiotherapy or maybe chemotherapy, there are many on the forum who can offer personal advice regarding bone mets, if you could tell us how many bone mets there are,as this will influence your treatment options, I can imagine how difficult a time this is for you, it's the worst time in any cancer journey and one we all share. I am Gleason 10, diagnosed 2.5 years ago, doing pretty well with a few years to come, modern cancer treatments have come on so much lately and it seems a new one is introduced every month, so there are options for your dad. and many aimed at bone mets. Best wishes.

Eddie xx 

• Good morning, sorry to hear about your Dad, my husband has advanced prostate cancer he is 74 in a couple of days, he has just finished chemo and he is on triplet treatment. If you click on my name it will show you our journey.

All the best 

• Thank you eddiel,

The details of mets are as below:

Bilateral 1, L2 vertebrae, left acetabulum , bilateral ischium, right superior pubic ramus, left 5th rib, right 7th rib and right scapula.

It was a routine test by which we came to know about elevated PSMA level to 90. while led to further investigation. We were caught offgaurd !!! 

Even though he has mets currently he does not have any pains and continues his daily routine. is there any timeline when he will have pain in the bones ?

I thank you and such gr8 community in this forum who guides you in such tough time. I did not know what to do and where to go and ask for support. Thank you

• Hi MIKL.

Good afternoon and welcome it's great to meet you today but I am very sorry to hear about your fathers diagnosis (PC)

Yes like many on this forum I have also got Terminal Prostate Cancer & I was diagnosed last June 2023 at the age of 57.

I have been on Hormone Therapy since which has dropped my PSA from 1000+ to 3.2 currently which has started to climb again unfortunately.

I have had some radiotherapy this week (1 shot) to my pelvis which is currently full of cancer as seen on a previous x-ray so hopefully it has given the cancer something to think about!!!!

I started to get "bone pain" at around the 12mnt mark but everyone is "different" in there cancer journey.

But "hey ho" this cancer has picked on the wrong person as the "fight goes on"

"Stay Strong"

Prostate Worrier.

• Hello  and a warm welcome from a wife whose husband has advanced prostate cancer with distant mets, but not in the bones. He was diagnosed over 4 years ago and is still going strong, in fact better now than he has felt in a long time and we are off on holiday on Monday for a few days so life carries on.

There is no set route for treatment of advanced prostate cancer apart from starting off with hormone therapy which gives the experts time to complete tests and come up with a plan tailored for your dad. As a starter can I suggest you download this book for free which will help explain things and give you a reference for future.

https://issuu.com/magazineproduction/docs/js_prostate_cancer_guide_for_patients_ezine

With the number of bone mets localised therapy with radiotherapy to them will probably not be an option initially. If your dad is fit and well then the experts might suggest Triplet Therapy which is a combination of androgen deprivation therapy (ADT), a second generation antiandrogen (tablet) and chemotherapy. This treatment is showing good results at killing off the cancer and increasing the time until possible recurrence. We also have members who are treated with just the ADT and second generation antiandrogens with very good results. My husband has had very good control of the prostate cancer with radiotherapy to the whole of the pelvic region. As you can see there are several options.

The one thing that most men find with hormone therapy, plus the other treatments whilst on them, is that fatigue can soon catch up with them so the fitter your dad can stay at this stage the better plus trying to add in some resistance training. 

In answer to your pain question then it cannot be predicted. It will depend on how well the treatment works. Some cancers are more receptive to chemotherapy whereas others respond well to radiotherapy. The same can be said for different hormone therapies. Another variable is how well your dad tolerates a particular treatment. If one treatment doesn't work that well then something else will be tried but these treatments are getting better all the time.

Please come back with any questions and we will try and help.