Wondering about Chemo treatment

• 4 replies
  • 133 subscribers

Just wondering if chemo for prostate cancer actually protects you from others cancers as the chemo will be killing those cancer cell at an early stage,

• Hi  ,  Docetaxel does attack cancel cells.  I am not medical, but assume other cancers have more targeted drugs for each one.  So the answer to your question is yes.  Hope this helps. David

• Chemotherapy appears to be designed for particular types of cancer.

I did find some information about this which was beyond my current understanding, so I will not link to it here.

What I THINK it said was that some treatments may be affective against more than one type of cancer, but not all.

It's a bit like Zoladex which can be effective against both prostate and breast cancer.

It seems to me that there is no general interaction between multiple cancers.

I will now leave this well alone until someone more clued up comes along.

• Hi Neil5234.

Good morning and welcome it's great to meet you today.

I'm not medically trained but on researching chemo previously I do believe that the drug takes out all of the cancer and more.

I do know that there are different chemo's for targeting other cancer's but they all work predominantly to take out the cancer cells and more.

Please let me know if you need any further information???

Prostate Worrier.

• Good morning Neil.

A very good question.

Docetaxel, like many chemotherapy agents, are designed to TREAT cancer by disrupting the multiplication of cells at specific times during their replication cycle. This assumes that the cancer is present for them to be able to do this. Specifically Docetaxel has been shown to be useful for certain types of breast, lung, prostate, stomach, and head and neck cancers.  Treat is the operative word, not protect unless you have these other cancers at the time of Docetaxel treatment which is rare.