MRI

• 9 replies
  • 134 subscribers

I’m 55yrs old with a psa of 3.7 repeat of 5.04. I’ve had an MRI yesterday with the results phoned through to me this morning, which I wasn’t at all prepared for.

its all a bit vague trying to recall what was said but I’m sure she said there were 2 areas with Likert 3 and i think she mentioned prostatitis and 1 of likert 4..she said the prostate was normal size and appeared to be contained.

I’m booked for a biopsy on Tuesday, I’m sorry it’s all very vague but I wasn’t prepared for the call I didn’t have a notebook handy as I was outside I’m a little confused.

we asked if the wound call back today to discuss but no joy.  

• Hi SCJ.

Good afternoon and welcome my friend it's great to meet you today but I am sorry to see that you have joined the club nobody wants to be in!!!!

I am not medically trained like many on this forum but I will offer you my experience with PC to date.

Yes your PSA looks to be very low as mine was 1000+. By the looks of things "Contained" is a good result so far. 

The biopsy on Tuesday will be a confirmation of this and then a plan will be put in place for further treatment.

You will receive more information from other members who will be able to offer you further help and support.

Prostate Worrier 

• Hi SCJ

Likert 3 means probably unlikely to be PC, Likert 4 more likely.

Things really don't look too bad but the biopsy will tell you more obviously.

Likert 4,  u could ask tumour size in mm once biopsy has shown that it is cancer that's if it does.

Best wishes 

Steve 

• Urology have just called to go through it again and they said there are 2 at likert 4 and 1 at likert 3.

she said it’s contained so I really don’t know what to expect 

• Hi SCJ.

That's great news that they have called and gone through things again.

Yes that's good news that she has confirmed "Contained" 

This will make treatment much easier and will hopefully take out the "Cancer Completely" for you!!!!!

Prostate Worrier.

• Ok doesn't sound too bad, excellent that contained.

14mm similar to mine when I started treatment in 2017.

Wait for biopsy to confirm a Gleeson and then they'll probably offer u surgery or RT and HT.

Def potentially curable 

All the best

Steve 

• They  may  keep  it  under  surveillance  don't  rush   get  clued up 

• Hello  .

Your head is probably in a spin this morning so I wondered if giving you some information might help. Firstly on the Likert or Pirads score and how the MRI can help with the biopsy.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/prostate-tests/mri-scan#:~:text=PIRADS%20or%20Likert%20score%204,that%20needs%20to%20be%20treated.

Then on the biopsy itself. My husband has had 3 and, whilst not the most pleasant of experiences, it was soon over and done with. You might see some blood in your urine and don't worry if your semen is a rusty red for a little while. Ejaculating does actually help clear it out of the system.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/prostate-tests/prostate-biopsy

From the results of the biopsy the Urologist may then ask you to go for more scans so that they can get the full picture but with your initial information it looks as if you have time to consider all your options. 

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/prostate-tests/scans-to-see-if-your-cancer-has-spread

Please don't Dr Google. Treatment for prostate cancer has advanced considerably in recent years which means that the outlook is now very positive for men whose cancer is found early. 

• Hi  , I guess you are in a complete spin today and that is absolutely normal.  We have all been in your position.  You probably think that you are unlucky, but the good news is you are very early to the game and that makes a massive difference in your likely prognosis.  Your team are doing the right things and until you have had the biopsy you can’t do anything.  Once you have had the biopsy, can I suggest you post back and we can offer you help.  The key thing for you to focus on now is keeping as fit as you can which will stand you in good stead for anything down the line.  Stay positive you will be fine.  Best wishes, David