I don't believe them

• 44 replies
  • 133 subscribers

I have read so many posts on Oncologists saying to people on this forum that they have so long to live to be proved so wrong and wrong again. No one can tell how your treatment will respond as every cancer is different in every individual. Just be positive and believe in yourself you are going to beat this shit no matter what anyone so called expert thinks, they are wrong so many times and one expert will give you a different outcome to another

• The report says good gut health promotes hormone resistance, or I have got this wrong?

• One of the best yoghurts is a natural Greek yoghurt but NOT whilst you are on chemotherapy Neil. All bacteria and yeasts multiply quickly so if you start loading the gut with the yoghurts which contain a small variety of bugs they can overgrow the other bugs that you need to help digest the food properly and yes, a good balanced digestive system can help with your immune system. The best way to build up a good gut biome is to have a varied diet with plenty of fruit and veg, olive oil, limit processed foods and red food is particularly good, oily fish twice a week and try to reduce red meats but increase plant proteins.

• I've not heard of that, I thought that good gut health was always essential.

I think that many types of meds can include certain hormones which are not going to help good gut health or that is what I would think, obviously I am no expert so could be wrong.

Since being diagnosed with PC in 2013 I have always been careful what I eat and drink and really had no issues in that area.

best wishes

Steve

• What it is saying is that certain bugs which are commonly found within the gut could play a role, but which ones are involved is still under research. There are on average 500 different species of bugs in the gut and billions of actual bugs ticking over inside us.

• I am going to pinch your words here for my other half. 

She is a great fan of https://zoe.com/ but when I read it listen to their stuff I get the uncomfortable impression that I am being sold something. 

Nonetheless, I can see the work in this. We are already several steps down this road, but I am having trouble convincing her on the oily fish front.

• I have not heard of this but if it works for you and your wife then great. It appears to be endorsed by reputable institutions.

We are off for a weekly fix of oily fish tonight at a favourite taverna when it has cooled down.

• I thought I would look to see how far the research has gone in linking the gut biome and the the incidence of biochemical recurrence. Several bugs have been identified which could open up the use of antibiotics to selectively remove them and then add faecal pellets to modify the gut flora - I can imagine the look of horror on many faces at the thought of ingesting poo but it is already being done to help people with colitis and irritable bowel syndrome and they are enclosed in a capsule. Another thing which appears to help at the moment is to adopt a Mediterranean diet, supplement with omega 3 and reduce animal fats. Obesity and lack of exercise are other factors in restricting the gut biome and increasing the chance of biochemical recurrence. Experimental work is so far being studied in animal populations using human faeces so still plenty of work to do.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-024-45332-w

• Wow.

I have looked at both articles and scanned them. To have any real understanding, I will need to read much more carefully.

With that caveat in place, though, there seems to be an understanding that we should treat people holisticly

New and more powerful drugs will help.

Allying treatment with a restoration of the body's balance and wholeness will be closer to the Holy Grail of complete, permanent eradication.

• Another way of looking at it is that if you can get the body into a better balance then this may either prolong or negate the necessity to move on to more powerful drugs and treatments. The tools already exist to rebalance things (more work is needed before it can be used as a viable tool for those most at risk) but we can also do our bit in the meantime.