I don't believe them

• 44 replies
  • 131 subscribers

I have read so many posts on Oncologists saying to people on this forum that they have so long to live to be proved so wrong and wrong again. No one can tell how your treatment will respond as every cancer is different in every individual. Just be positive and believe in yourself you are going to beat this shit no matter what anyone so called expert thinks, they are wrong so many times and one expert will give you a different outcome to another

• Nobody really knows.

Whe I ws first diagnosed, and was in the "I'm doomed" camp, I found this quotation:

“When we started the STAMPEDE trial back in 2005, the survival of advanced prostate cancer that had spread to other parts of the body was around three and a half years, on average. Now, it’s around seven to ten years – and abiraterone and the other advances from the STAMPEDE trial can claim a lot of the credit for that,” said Professor James"

Unfortunately that's all I saved, and not the source of the quote, so you will have to consider it with caution.

It does, however, illustrate that things are moving quickly and that the rate of advance is speeding up.

We none of us know what we will happening in 2 years, never mind 19.

Experts always want to hedge their bets.

That doesn't make them less expert, its just that knowledge makes them more wary.

• Hi neil5234.

Good evening and welcome to our prostate cancer family.

Yes you are right on every front this time last year I was given the bad news "Terminal & No Cure"

"Great news just what the doctor ordered"

PSA 1000+ cancer escaped from my prostate"b*****d"

HT started straight away 12mnts later PSA 1.79.

Yes consultant mellowed greatly over these past few months so by doing my way was the right way!!!!

Prostate Worrier.

• Here is the full article which also shows where treatment for metastatic prostate cancer is heading.

https://www.icr.ac.uk/news-features/latest-features/the-future-of-prostate-cancer-research-what-could-the-next-decade-bring

The medical profession is helping to extend the time that you can live with advanced cancer, it is up to the individual to make sure they have the best Quality of Life and make the most of the opportunity they have been given.

• Thank you  .

In the reading I have done it seems to me that we are seeing advances both in the new and innovative, and in refinement of the existing.

The combination of HT and RT that is my plan seems to me to be a refinement.

And your are so right about quality of life.

In many respects my life has improved since my diagnosis.

My relationship with my has become deeper.

The small things mean more.

• What is reassuring is that the ultimate aim is to find a cure even for metastatic prostate cancer. It is too late for our generation but we have still benefitted considerably from the results of the STAMPEDE trial with the new drugs and treatments, plus what is available for the future for men like my husband with things like Lutetium 177, PARP inhibitors and immunotherapy. I think the 7 to 10 years is a lot better assessment as things stand with current knowledge but expect that in 5 years time it will be pushed even further out.

The diagnosis pushed us into putting our house in order, but having done that we are now a lot more spontaneous. We have found the balance to be able to make the most of each day and enjoy the little things in life which are important to us.

• Morning AH,

Thank you for the link. It is particular useful because it lines up everything in one article. I tried to find the issue date but could not. Do you know when it was published?

I found the innovation on gut bacteria extremely interesting. A year before the diagnosis, Jacob had H.Pylori and he was treated with very strong drugs to kill it. It returned and again a full month of strong drugs. This was a big interference in his gut natural habitat ( Just invented this phrase). 

Hopefully the extreme heat has gone?

Lots of love

Dafna

• 17 November 2021.

I agree about the gut bugs but then I am a little biased as this was my area of research and development. The H pylori is a nasty little so and so linked to problems with many organs and systems within the body if it is not dealt with. You will have gathered from several of my comments in other threads that I am a great believer in getting the gut biome into balance particularly after treatment like chemotherapy and antibiotic use. You are what you eat is a great phrase but with more than a grain of truth.

Still in the middle of a heatwave - 42C yesterday so hibernating indoors.

• I have heard there is a yoghurt that is good for gut health, anyone know the name ?

• I think any natural yoghurt is good for gut health, no added sugar obviously,  live natural yoghurt even better, most supermarkets will have many options 

Steve