Prostate cancer screening trial.

• 7 replies
  • 131 subscribers

I was interested to read that my old university QMC London are part of a new trial to improve the efficacy of prostate cancer screening. 

https://www.qmul.ac.uk/media/news/2024/fmd/new-42-million-screening-trial-to-improve-efficacy-of-prostate-cancer-screening.html

• Hello  

Thanks for posting that. I had read about the Transform trial - sadly it's going to take some time for the results however it's going to involve a large number of people and I am sure when it gets going we will have Community Members on this trial.

Kind Regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• AH is that QMC in Mile End, London?

• Hopefully it will result in finding ways to give a more accurate initial diagnosis plus develop better monitoring systems. As you say, it is a long term project - 10 years, but anything which promotes screening can only be good.

• Yes. I was there from 1972-1975 (giving away my age). Moving to the east end of London as a rookie 17 year old was definitely an education in itself.

• I was in the East End  from 1970-1973 including 6 months at the hospital next door to QMC - Mile End. There’s a chance we were neighbours!!!!!! The rest of the time was in Whitechapel! I saw life!!!!

• My digs were in Hackney Wick, the other side of Victoria Park. Watching Call the Midwife definitely brought back memories of living in the East End as a lot of it was still boarded up after the wartime bombing and the poor housing remained, but the people were brilliant, especially down the Roman Road. The hospital was almost next door to the science buildings where I studied so we possibly passed in the street.

• Yes , call the midwife brought back memories for me too! I spent most of my time at The London Hospital in Whitechapel but I had to do 6 mts at Mile End. I used to walk in Victoria Park! It was so lovely to see some grass and some trees!! I lived in hospital accommodation- even then couldn’t afford any alternative! Who would have thought in those days we would end up worrying about PSAs , prostate cancer, hormone therapy etc  etc etc! I wonder if we ever did pass in the street!